Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beretta M9 - Highpoly

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Starkist polycounter lvl 9
Hi folks,

Another update, went on to improve the RBR material which I think now look a lot better, also, I'm trying to recreate the IBL shader marmoset has in Unity, I'm not really a shader programmer so I'm pretty limited in this area but I think it is an ok start.

IXifUkH.jpg
NUVUdsK.jpg

Thanks ahead,
Michael.

Replies

• Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Im seeing a lot of mistakes in the model itself, and also lots of problems with the subdivision. Im not sure how accurate you intended the model to be, so ill just assume not very, and focus on the sub-D issues.

The first thing that hits my eye is the pinching on the grip (behind the mag release) and at the back of the slide. Especially the rounded back part of the slide is pretty hard to make usually since big round shapes with sharp cutouts are problematic to say the least in sub-d. The solution to this is the old sub-d mantra: ADD MORE GEO (refer to the sticky in Techical Talk forum)
    Coincientally ive also been working on a 92FS recently, so im going to use some screenshots as examples of how i decided to approach the problems I see in your model.
    Here is the topology of the back of my slide. The way i made this is:
    1) created the profile of the slide with a spline. With an extrude modifier you can get some visual feedback and still have the ease of tweaking the shape with the splines tangent controls.
    2) once the I got the curve just right, I extrude the slide and start creating the shapes on the inside. I keep the rear end flat for now, since its much easier to adjust topology in 2 dimensions than 3. I think your average poly size should be about 2x-3x the size of your edges, so if you need sharper edges, you also need more geo. Also since the end will be curved, you need to keep the topology as consistent as possible. You could use a subdivided plane as a starting point and cut that in to the shape of your spline, but i didnt bother.
    3) once I have all the shapes down except for the roundness of the rear, I select the vertices on the rear and mold them in to the correct round shape with an FFD (3x3x3) modifier.

In subD, you will run in to stuff that is made up of different kinds of shapes, and you need to look at them all and choose which order you create them in. The rounding at the end I left for last because once that is done, the mesh becomes REALLY difficult to modify.

Likewise on your grip, the pinching behind the mag release is because you lack geometry to support the correct shape. You only have 1 or 2 vertical support loops and thats just not enough. Another problem I see with your grip plates is that the shapes are sort of defined lazily. apart from the top part, the whole thing has the topology of a cube, even though its not a cubical object. What i would do is maybe start by defining your edges with a strip of polygons, and then once you have that down you can fill in the holes to create the flatter parts.

Im also noticing the front part of the slide looks completely wrong. The curved profile of the slide remains the same for the whole length of the slide. Think of how the slide was made from a rectangular block of metal. First they round out the top of the slide, then drill a hole for the barrel, then cut out some of the top to create the open slide design.
    This is another problem that you would avoid if you had more geometry. It also helps to analyze the shapes (especially for machined metal parts like this) and how the various industrial machines have carved it out. It helps when you need to figure out how your topology should flow.

here's a pic of the front of my slide. As i explained earlier, I created the round profile with a spline, then extruded it along the whole length of the slide. Only after that i cut out the top part to reveal the barrel.

Lastly im seeing some edges where you dont want edges to be. for exxample the diamond cut on the magazine, you have a horizontal edge through the diamond, when it should be a vertical edge. This is because the horizontal edge that you have going on the magazine continues on through the diamond cutaway, when you should be redirecting the support loops elsewhere so they dont create the sharp edge where you dont want one. Another place i see this happening in the top of the grips where theres the little indented part, you have an edge going across the flat part.

One thing ive found extremely helpful when googling for refs is look or references of seperate parts. Especially or guns since its usually pretty easy to break down the gun and find good pictures of the seperate parts (like hammer, trigger, disassembly lever, safety switch, firing pin etc etc) Its a lot easier to find higher resolution and better angles of the smaller objects to get the shapes right.
    http://i.imgur.com/t1ItiuO.png
  • Starkist
    Offline / Send Message
    @Olli. Thanks for the great feedback (btw, awesome beretta you got there way out of my league :D), I went back and redid the slide like you suggested, I realize that I don't follow the reference on point, but my focus is mainly the technique on this piece.

I went on to bake this to a low poly ~4.5k tris, 2k textures. I'd really love to get some crits on this as this is my first attempt at PBR texturing, and I'm not the greatest texture creator even without PBR. So yeah, any crits welcome as I'd like to improve this as much as possible.

ngzPZbk.jpg
    6QT90UB.jpg
    OXp0G6W.jpg

Thanks ahead folks :)
  • Starkist
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update on the textures:

I hope you guys got some tips for me on how to improve on this texture-wise, this is my 1st attempt at PBR.

ScIGo2X.jpg
    QRaW3Uc.jpg
    ahHPGH9.jpg
    hOD13OR.jpg
    qwaiy5i.jpg
  • Starkist
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, went on to improve the RBR material which I think now look a lot better, also, I'm trying to recreate the IBL shader marmoset has in Unity, I'm not really a shader programmer so I'm pretty limited in this area but I think it is an ok start.

IXifUkH.jpg
    NUVUdsK.jpg
  • stickehbunz
    Looks really good:) Could you share your uv layout please? Thanks in advance
  • Starkist
    Offline / Send Message
    @stickehbunz, sure, here you go, although not the best efficiency.

f3qNMiq.jpg