Home Technical Talk

Modo - UV viewport slow performance

Tzur_H
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
Anyone of you Modo users got this issue?

Every action I do inside the UV editor viewport takes ages, in the modeling viewport it's instantaneous.

Loop selections (L), growing/shrink selection using up/down and shift+up/down arrows, moving shells, rotating, every UV unwrap tool... everything!

I'm running on 801, I've tried turning off VOB under OpenGL preference..no good :\

Replies

• dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    What service pack are you on? I never had any problems with that. Usually I just shut down the app and then run it again if I bump into something like this.
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I'm running on sp2, the weird thing is that this issue only occurs in the UV editor viewport..and it's driving me mad. I even tried a fresh install of the program, didn't help.

Also, can someone explain how the percentage value in the "Gaps" option of the "Pack UVs" tool works? Is it possible to just put a value in pixels?
  • admir
    Offline / Send Message
    admir polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have weightmaps and skeleton in your mesh ? In that case, UV operations can be slow if you dont disable Hot scrubbing and Enable deformers in other windows. Also, morph targets can slow it down + what polycount mesh is ?
  • StormyBA
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    Only time I've had slowdown is with the relax tool - its kind of odd, pretty hit and miss as to when it appears.

Some times packing can be slow if you are packing a lot of islands. How complex is your mesh?
  • Farfarer
    Odd. They overhauled the UV viewport interaction for 801 and made it a lot faster in general than 701 was.

Have you got a particularly heavy scene with lots of items? It does struggle with those, even if they're hidden.

Or do you have a preview/rayGL window open somewhere that's retriggering after each change?
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys,

I'm working on a laptop, but a pretty strong one: i7, 12GB of RAM nVidia 650m card - could that be the problem? My graphic card?

I'm working with 800k polys mesh, nothing else in the scene, no morphs or weightmaps or anything of that sort, also Ray GL and previewer are off..is that 'heavy'?

In Maya 2015 it's working smoothly, takes a bit of time to make UV operations like relaxing and unfolding, but moving UV shells and selecting components in the UV editor is instantaneous.

Here's a snapshot of my OpenGL preferences and the UV editor properties, if any other info might help just let me know I'll attach it.

vstdX7b.jpg
  • admir
    Offline / Send Message
    admir polycounter lvl 18
    Are you sure NV is enabled, i have similar laptop with similar hw and no problems with Modo. you can type glinfo in command line to see what Modo thinks of your hw, could be that on board gpu is used. Also in Performance VBO is turned off, default is ON. With your GPU, it should be on and increase performance largely.
    HTH,
    Admir
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Admir, I ran the command. Modo does recognize my NV card.
    Regarding the VBO, I've searched online prior to opening this thread and I came across this:
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=77&t=92317
    So I thought it wouldn't hurt to try..but it didn't help.

I've also followed another thread that mentioned something about Windows putting a "shim" (what the heck is that?!) on Modo, I checked my registry and Modo isn't in there.
  • admir
    Offline / Send Message
    admir polycounter lvl 18
    Tzur_H wrote: »
    Admir, I ran the command. Modo does recognize my NV card.
    Regarding the VBO, I've searched online prior to opening this thread and I came across this:
    http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discussion/topic.aspx?f=77&t=92317
    So I thought it wouldn't hurt to try..but it didn't help.

I've also followed another thread that mentioned something about Windows putting a "shim" (what the heck is that?!) on Modo, I checked my registry and Modo isn't in there.

Haven't heard of it myself either... Can you try on another machine ? I guess you updated gpu drivers.
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I don't have any other machine to test on, and yeah my GPU drivers are up to date.
    I've seen some similar posts on the Modo forums, might be the software after all and not a case specific.. It's just weird because it only occurs in the UV viewport :[ ..other than that the software runs great and I love it!