Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] 1vs1 modular Level

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Luxap polycounter lvl 6
This project is done, scroll down for more screenshots

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikoc3nbh96w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikoc3nbh96w[/ame]

Original Post.

Hello there guys!
Doing a 1vs 1 level for my end assignment for this years semester at school.
Working on this for about a month or so and experimenting with loads of new things.

Enough talk lets see some screenshots!

First itteration
L9kdJRk.jpg

Second itteration
5JYkfVB.jpg

Third Itteration
Going for a dusky mood, gotta give the scene more light tough
DJSogwN.jpg

If you got any comments or such please leave him here, love to hear youre input.

Replies

• Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Lighting in the second iteration is the best in my opinion. The third one is way too foggy and everything looks much flatter. The first one is nice but things are perhaps harder to read with so much contrast.

Also the white emissive light's bloom is way too strong, though maybe that's a part that you still haven't worked on yet.
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the reply Mik2121, I agree with the points you are making, tried to fix them, but still working on the light in the level.

Some more recent screenshots.
    6JOtfoT.jpg
    fbS4fF5.jpg
    RUqCoR8.jpg

As you can see some Foliage and particles, still need some nice prop to light up some dark areas, looking for ideas, any suggestions?
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Got some more updates for you guys!

Did a total rework on the lights, also movable lights drop the FPS drasticly (Did'nt know that yet).

So definitely learning a bunch while doing this!
    Seeing anything weird? Don't be afraid to point me on it =D

ZvuwPH5.png
    LIcAp3R.png
    jElAjph.png
    r9MtGO5.png
    WxYOQln.png
    YllDkF3.png

Thanks for watching guys!
  • Khaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not too sure if your using this technique or not but in the latest version of ue4 (4.6+) you can bake emmissive lighting to the lightmap in the scene. Looking awesome though so far. can't wait to see the polish :D
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Khaja wrote: »
    Not too sure if your using this technique or not but in the latest version of ue4 (4.6+) you can bake emmissive lighting to the lightmap in the scene. Looking awesome though so far. can't wait to see the polish :D

Yeah tried to migrate to 4.6 but it doesn't work for some reason, maybe it's because i'm working from the Unreal Tournament files?
    real shame =(

Currently I just use a point light inside of the mesh and make the parts that don't let light through double-sided materials, inefficient workaround but thats what i could think of =D

And thanks for stopping by!
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    So people, last update on this environment time to move onto the next one!
    here are some screens and a video!

Really had fun doing this project and really tried to push myself in texture/asset usage.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikoc3nbh96w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikoc3nbh96w[/ame]

And some screenshots!
    The used assets
    98pVAym.png
    And textures used
    wrdRL6F.jpg

Some more beauty renders =D
    iAGuo3V.png

P6DKcFk.png

aeHazAA.png

jlQLo17.png

uxffZ9f.png

keFHczY.png

7cjYWOG.png

CGutTIn.png

And that concludes my journey into the wonders of my first real unreal engine level creation, the only thing I would change is the metal floors make them a little more rough so they won't get misteken with pools of water.

But thats it guys, thanks for watching and commenting on this thread really loved it! and if you have any more comments, i'll take them into account when I revisit this project for portofolio reasons.

THANKS! =D
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Niiice, just a bit tad brown but the music in the intro gives it some edge 8/10
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Niiice, just a bit tad brown but the music in the intro gives it some edge 8/10

Thanks for the feedback! =D
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    It doesn't make sense where it says "maintenance area" The paint underneath "area" is worn away yet someone came along after and decal/painted the information over it?

iAGuo3V.png

The lighting and the overgrowth isn't working for me atm. It's at odds with itself, the two treatments clash for me at the moment. Is it old and abandoned? If so why everything working? I guess is what I'm saying is the overgrown parts should happen where it makes sense, and if you want to keep the areas with the functional lighting, those areas should make sense as well. Take a look at Portal 2, and RAGE and see how they handled things, and take that knowledge and apply it back to your scene.

A bit too much red for me, needs accent color or just more chrome. Separation between floor/wall/ceiling isn't really there yet, mainly cause red is used throughout.

good luck.
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    It doesn't make sense where it says "maintenance area" The paint underneath "area" is worn away yet someone came along after and decal/painted the information over it?

iAGuo3V.png

The lighting and the overgrowth isn't working for me atm. It's at odds with itself, the two treatments clash for me at the moment. Is it old and abandoned? If so why everything working? I guess is what I'm saying is the overgrown parts should happen where it makes sense, and if you want to keep the areas with the functional lighting, those areas should make sense as well. Take a look at Portal 2, and RAGE and see how they handled things, and take that knowledge and apply it back to your scene.

A bit too much red for me, needs accent color or just more chrome. Separation between floor/wall/ceiling isn't really there yet, mainly cause red is used throughout.

good luck.

Nice feedback pixelpatron and thanks for that!
    And I surely know what you mean with the decals not being worn out on some spots where there are rougher areas, I was trying to vertex paint them out because I was'nt using deffered decals but that yielded no good results, so I just went with them because off the deadline (I could keep working on this for ages without a deadline tough =D )
    Did'nt notice this one in the screenshots and it does looks silly.

As for the lights and such, now that you mention it, that does not really fit the abandoned nature of this scene, I did leave lights out and tried to add flickering lights to the scene as well but that was very heavy on my framerate for some reasons ( maybe because I used the wrong things in blueprints? )

Will try to push the next project more in terms of wall/floor seperation and gonna tone the colors down a fair bit, and also make some more variation in terms of color.

Really love this accurate feedback! thanks for that!