Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bachelor project, UE 4

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
CocoaCup polycounter lvl 6
Hello all :)

I would like to present you my project for my bachelor project - to create a small game level in UE 4. I will be aiming to achieve unique and cosy environment, mostly inspired by Norway and other Scandinavian lands (I spent 5 months in Norway recently and it's really the most beautiful place I've seen).

I won’t be focusing so much on the gameplay and similar features - I want to work mainly on the visual elements of game, to achieve unique atmosphere. The game should be rather stylized, maybe something similar to Blizzard or Riot games.

I’m looking for a small story which could help me to improve the experience, so far I haven’t found anything I like. All I know, that it'll be a small fisherman village.

I started working on moodboards to help me with start, but I will be adding more to show you the direction which I want to go.

O6vZ9OKr6lK2qXHt

CU7IVbDMdUXLtPlj

Replies

• rodstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice collection of images. Good inspiration. Good luck
  • MrCreator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love your refs and the overall mood youre going for, cant wait for updates :)
  • CocoaCup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rodstone thank you :)

@MrCreator thank you, I hope i will be able to capture similar mood

- I started to write list of my required assets, just a small start and lot of work ahead. It's not so easy as I though to come with all the objects and elements to create it :) -

ERgOGooR2gcnKBmO
  • CocoaCup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello there,

just a small update. I decided to change the way I want to work with the overall stylye and game stylization. I will approach it with more low-poly look, with consistent colors and subtle normal details to achive more paper-look, fabric look :)

KZ2BwTZ9CecigeK9
  • Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    I like this Style ! I just made an agressive dog
    10961937_10153048689553713_1616667335_n.jpg?oh=6325c4720f4611dd69e6c7af0a4937d8&oe=54D059CB&__gda__=1422930010_b0780e8b145cb1b37636519c93473f15
  • CocoaCup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again,

so I started working on quick sketch of my island just as a rough idea what will be the content. I want to to divide the place into several different areas with unique visual style and mood. I will be adding more details and unique small places, for now I was thinking about some ruins or rest of the other village in the glacier area, maybe troll trail - afterall it's inspired by Norway :)

JhBCrwzx4ldjzv6u

if you have any comments or ideas, just let me knoe. I will be updating the thread as much as I can.

Cheers, Miriam
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I'm not sure how long you have for this, but the scale of this project may be too large.

I would recommend doing 1 or maybe 2 of these areas. I think doing 1 or 2 will allow you to focus more on achieving a high visual quality.
  • CocoaCup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    I'm not sure how long you have for this, but the scale of this project may be too large.

I would recommend doing 1 or maybe 2 of these areas. I think doing 1 or 2 will allow you to focus more on achieving a high visual quality.

I have almost 2 months of free time for it and I intend to make it really simple. To be honest I've never done anything like this - I will finish the concept first and then decided how it should continue. And thank you for your feedback :)
  • CocoaCup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a quick test, just random landscape

aFNFxQEQpgnbocyS

30uKRM99oFV2ja9G

I'm still working on the concept, filling with the content and details. For now, I will be working on the village, pastures and autumn forrest part.
  • CocoaCup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all :)

This project isn't abandoned. I was just really super busy working on it.

The main change is the visual style of the whole approach : I renounce the low poly stylized look and went for more semi-realistic look, but still with some elements of stylization.

Just letting you know, my main study isn't 3d modeling and texturing, all what is here is work as my hobby permit to use it as my final thesis project.

Oh, all of the screenshots are downsampled to full HD instead of full 3k resolution.

YcEBYZwm3fo8g2qm

K1Bpu0GTGb4Ne1Rr

sua8MpjsGMymaBMG

CE0UvstGIyytPcRg

IGuI7cXlkyRng0os

8mq6zGCcxuWcxzij

FYWsHBxtKrKuMU7W

vqgkNpTXkvTvr2K9

2sNV8EPcwGkWwnX7

MtK2FWfYyIDTKDh3

mgGVG634kLGFBQfx

VpCDRshoDXlU6uzu

DEnMPOfJlQVE1zdp

kNaG4I0kM6jXNdiW

Please, feel free to any comments or feedback :)
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    very nice. great work! Could you post some texture maps? How many hours did it take to complete this project?
  • CocoaCup
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a while since I updated this thread, I was quite busy - I finished the project and sucessfuly graduated from my University. The final output was a playable demo from first person view and some printed outputs as renders and ingame screenshots. People were able to play the game with wireless controller and it was great to see them have fun :)

Here are some renders of ingame assets (3ds Max, Zbrush) and ingame screenshots.

VgnTb7C.jpg
    2GXOOLR.jpg
    GXHeAho.jpg
    xnqyEMh.jpg
    n5sX4eX.jpg
    w9OicU3.jpg

Printed renders and screenshots together with mini posters which were free for others.

LrQn3I9.jpg

I made also a short teaser:

I must say it was an amazing experience and even though I had sometimes a quite stresfull days it was worth it !