Home General Discussion

Mixamo Fuse

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Zack Maxwell interpolator
Anyone else using this? I got it off Steam for the current Christmas sale they have going on.
My intention was to use it for rapid concepting/prototyping of characters, as well as getting solid base meshes.
So far, it's actually pretty impressive.
Apparently you can even import your own custom substances and models into it, allowing it to be used to procedurally generate a wide variety of characters using all your own art. Haven't tried that yet.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I use this from time to time to get a good base mesh or for quick tests in engine.
    Combine this with an all access pass and it's a huge time saver for independent developers
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The overall quality of the Mixamo animations you can get for them seem kinda meh, but I suppose the animations could just be used as a base to work from as well. Plus, again, quick prototyping.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah absolutely, if you're just using the stock animations it's pretty weak, but with the animation control scripts they provide you can really get some nice results.

Unfortunately most people dont go that far and it's very easy to see who the lazy devs are ;)
  • mixamojeanette
    Hi guys! Jeanette from Mixamo here. :)

Thanks for the feedback about Fuse and the animations! I'd love to know what would help improve the quality and usability of the animations for you. We've just hired a new Animation Director and are working on expanding the library and if there are other things we can do to improve, don't hesitate to let us know.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys! Jeanette from Mixamo here. :)

Thanks for the feedback about Fuse and the animations! I'd love to know what would help improve the quality and usability of the animations for you. We've just hired a new Animation Director and are working on expanding the library and if there are other things we can do to improve, don't hesitate to let us know.

I'm not an expert, so it's a bit difficult to articulate exactly what I feel is off with the animations, but I can try.
    On the whole they're pretty good. At least from a technical perspective. They do also make a perfectly solid base to work from, especially if you can't capture mocap yourself (which would be most people not working for a studio).
    The problem is a little more about... style, I think. Some of them just aren't pretty; they seem to rely too much on the original mocap data to really be used as-is.
    In some instances it can be something relatively minor, like little awkward gestures that weren't cleaned out. Such as a clumsy flail of the arm.
    In other cases it can be something much more serious, like way too much wind-up time on a jumping animation making it impractical for real use in a game.
    Overall a lot of them do seem quite slow as well. Like there's too many frames.

Also, I'm disappointed in the lack of a control rig generator for Modo :(
    Only available for Max and Maya.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mother #$%#!
    Only a couple days after picking up Fuse, it's up for an 80% off community vote on Steam.
    I'm gonna feel so bad if it wins XD