Home Technical Talk

Kit-Bashing ?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
Sorry, this is technically not a technical question (no pun intended) but being a noob, how would I go about making kit-bashed stuff. Whenever I search for kit-bash 3D in google, all I see is people selling theirs and showing off.

How do I start it off, do I just model random nuts and bolts, nooks and crannies ?

Thanks and Cheers,

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Yeah that is one way to do it.

I suspect most of the artists you see who have gotten very good at it though have been modeling for years and probably just harvested parts for their kitbash sets from old models.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mmm, thinking about it, is there some sort of theme. Like a car theme ? a bunch of exhaust pipe, front car wiring, car bolts and stuff ? How do professionals do it ?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'm sure they group stuff together in sets if that's what you're asking, there's on real reason not to.

I don't know how other people do it but I wouldn't put stuff together into what they're supposed to be used for (ie: "car set")

I'd group them based on the type of pieces they are, ie: pistons, rotors, bolts, latches, handles, knobs, etc.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohh okay, thats a good idea too, thanks man.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also should I do it high or low poly ? Are kit bash supposed to be floaters or premade models (unwrapped) ?
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    I've been filling this scene up with random bits and pieces, all high poly. But it's not catagorized specifically. I've just named each object after their general shape like rectangle01 or circle01. Plus there's no specific scale.

oZr1F6O.jpg

I think I used some stuff on this vehicle

MCDM0xg.jpg
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really awesome ani. How long did it take to make all of those ? Im assuming under a day. Also thanks. I think im gonna do kit bashing high to make it as floaters. Im also gonna make backups for necessary big bolts and nuts and unwrap it just in case.

Cheers
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how long it took since I don't really dedicate any time specifically to making bits. I just started by pulling little pieces out of vehicles I'd already made previously.

I basically just use them when I want details of certain shapes where accuracy isn't a huge deal. Like if there's a mess of straight pipes under a panel I'd just grab some of the pipe-y bits from that file.

You could always take ideas from actual model kit parts. I found this by googling "tank model kit sprue"

IzHMzQ0.jpg
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    aniceto wrote: »
    Not sure how long it took since I don't really dedicate any time specifically to making bits. I just started by pulling little pieces out of vehicles I'd already made previously.

I basically just use them when I want details of certain shapes where accuracy isn't a huge deal. Like if there's a mess of straight pipes under a panel I'd just grab some of the pipe-y bits from that file.

You could always take ideas from actual model kit parts. I found this by googling "tank model kit sprue"

IzHMzQ0.jpg

This is the best damn idea in this thread so far!
    Just go to some nerd store and buy a Warhammer 40k model kit and then model the parts in Maya/Max. Brilliant!
  • Carlosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10
    really brilliant, ty for share

i cant figure how to make the uvset once model is finished

had the high models a low model unwrapped, just to join all and pack ?
    or do you need to retopo every new model ?

ty in advance
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan wrote: »
    had the high models a low model unwrapped, just to join all and pack ?
    or do you need to retopo every new model ?

They're just for creating a high poly source model for baking. Don't worry about making the low poly till later.
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto wrote: »

IzHMzQ0.jpg

Man, goddamn great idea. ! thanks for sharing.