Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Japanese House

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
so as part of my game i am going to have several japanese houses and this will be one of them, i will be creating three then try and place them in the engine differently to try and make them look different.

i have started on a high poly then I will bake down some of the parts to the low poly, stuff like the roof tiles and wooden slates that don't change the silhouette too much. Also the doors will be shut and you will not be able to go in this one.
here is a reference
samurai-house-boso-no-mura-open-air-museum-big.jpg

and here is my progress so far just an hour or two
01.jpg

I would like as much critique as you can give me

Replies

• Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    Did you have more references and more important did you have think about the modularity of this House? Are you going to work with specific, tilable textures or both?
  • Poseidon8734
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poseidon8734 polycounter lvl 6
    This will look so cool as a blockout! Can't wait!
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I've got a bunch of references for the roof tiles and the roof. As well as different kind of walls that were used such as the wooden slates here and brick work ones aswel.

The pink part is seperate from the main part so I'm going to keep it like that so I can re use it again somewhere else as well as the roof tiles once I've baked that detail down I will reuse it. Certain parts of the wall will be repeated as well so I think in part it will be quite modular but also unique if it can be both haha.

Textures like I said with the roof tiles, will be a tolerable texture as well as most of the walls I will have a couple of unique ones such as the doors. I think I could get away with making the main roof tolerable as well but I will see when I come to it.

Cheers
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pongstah polycounter lvl 12
    Hi, what is the theme of the game you are making? Is it fantasy or historical japanese era? Nice start, good choice of ref image.

• Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it is a stealth based, historical Japanese game. it has a few fantasy things in it as well such as the Japanese demon Oni and Kitsuni lore.were making it as our graded unit for college, team of three.

it took me a surprisingly long time to find good reference images for historical Japanese houses that I really liked haha

some more ref images I am using here
    scan0061.jpg
    japanese-temple-roof-24235093.jpg

thanks
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vincent_DEROZIER
    just had a look at your Japanese house from sometime last year and its pretty damn good except from maybe the lanterns look a bit to bright white, but I seen that you said you broke it up into 10 pieces then applied your tile-able textures to each part then assembled it in udk, any way you could tell/show me how you would do that? cant quite get my head around it and I want my stuff to be as modular as I can.
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not done much due to moving house but i started some of the basic texturing, not too sure about it, something is off but im not sure what? too much repeating? i dont konw
    screenshot002.png
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update this is it in unreal still got the other side part to do and maybe add some more straw sticking out
    021.jpg
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more updates here on this piece
    screenshot000.png

any crits? I need to add more thatch planes coming out of the roof I think