Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Unreal 4 Terrain

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
level-map1.png
level-map2.png

this is my first terrain, look kind of bare with nothing in it but its going to have a large forest area then complex area near the base of the mountains.
there will also be a small river going down the crevice area.

any comments or anything to make it better would be good.

Replies

• narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    Silhouette of large mtn in 2nd image looks a little unrealistic. Otherwise seems like a good basis for adding vegetation. Hard to critique a barren land, so keep going and post your progress.
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with Narticus, there isn't much to say about barren terrain, but I look forward to seeing where this is oging! Do you have a concept or a sketch you are using to plan this out? It might help to post that as well.
    Good luck!
  • Gnutmi
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe gather some reference first and start thinking of a composition before you just jump into an entire environment. Create a mood-board so we can see what is the final result that you are leaning towards.
  • Nathan3D
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a hand drawn top down map of the level, its pretty crude but its what I was given
    level-map.png
    so im trying to do the best with what i have
    the bottom blobs are supposed to be trees and theres mountains at the top

ive looked at some references of mountainous areas and so on.

I think the textures are slightly washing out some of the detail?
    this is it without the material
    level-map3.png

this was my initial world machine world
    3d-view.png
  • Gnutmi
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    It's a good start. The base mesh looks good. Try looking at as many photos as possible to get a feel and the 'workings' of such a mountain range. How tall is that mountain? Is that river to small/big for a mountain like that. What kind of vegetation do you want and how much of it? There shouldnt be a small elevation next to the river as they usually wash stuff away.
    Big environments require a bit of planing and research before you jump into them.
  • Nathan3D
    Offline / Send Message
    cool
    the mountain on the right is pretty tall not sure the exact height it should be though

I agree with the river not going up like that, ill sculpting that in the engine shouldnt be to hard

I've been doing this terrain for a bout 4 or 5 days now so ive still got time to get it looking good. the textures are slightly annoying me particuarily the rock one, it looks like its tiled too much but im unsure on how to get rid of that as im using a splatmap.
  • Nathan3D
    Offline / Send Message
    bit of an update, hopefully you can see the difference haha
    level-map4.png