Home Technical Talk

Asset Management Tools, advice ?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys!

As the project my studio is working on gets bigger and bigger, i'am finding difficult to management all the 3D assets that the artist create. What is finished and what is not, who is doing what and what is the progress of each task.

Being unable to preview the final asset without opening the their 3D software on their machine is a pain in the a**.

So, you guys that worked on big studios with a lot of people...How to management all this stuff easily ?

I found a software called TACTIC (http://www.southpawtech.com/) but is kinda difficult to set it up by yourself. But is Open source tough.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    We are working with shotgun which is easy to use for the artists. The setup might be a bit complicated.

https://www.shotgunsoftware.com/
    Being unable to preview the final asset without opening the their 3D software on their machine is a pain in the a**.
    Even in shotgun you don´t have 3d previews of your asets, you can only attach movies or imagefiles.
    If your artists are saving files locally you have to kick their asses. Local files are a no-go in a studio environment.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    You could setup a source control branch that's seperate from the project for source files.
    To organize work tasks use an issue tracking software such as JIRA.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    We use custom asset management tools developed by the team here. Seems to work out nicely because you get exactly what you want - as .Wiki said though, no 3d previews just screenshots or something to preview assets.
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys thanks for sharing! =]

So, i'am messing around with TACTIC and i managed to get it working pretty decent. You can SetUp almost any kind of project. But it kinda slow...