Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Curvature No Working + Clown Mask Question

StormyBA
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
Been having a few issues with Curvature maps not working on my latest piece of work. I'm doing a large portion of the work flow from nDo, dDo and using the nDo map converters as the work house to create most of the maps needed to plug into dDo

The first piece was a pretty simple Pillar, I did have some issues with unwanted gradients but a few pointers from Eric seemed to fix that issue. From there everything worked as expected and it was obv picking up the curvature as the masks picked out areas of damage around edges

First Piece - Seemed to work fine.

U55nSAZ.jpg

The second piece is what has the issues.

gajkoQW.jpg

I've plugged in the Cavity / Curvature map into the correct slot but I'm not seeing the effects of it working in dDo, Not getting any of those nice paint chips along the edges as I would expect. I've tried removing the map and allowing dDo to create one from the normal and again no luck. I've also tried all the sliders in the dynamask editor to punch it out and again no luck. Just dosnt seem to be getting created.

Quick image of the lack of Curvature being picked up in Dynamask

6eBF93s.jpg

My other question is about the clown mask. As you can see from my masks the colours are very close together and once pushed through dDo it is creating a transparent edge to the masks where the colours meet. Are there any tools in dDo to allow some feathering on the masks or some kind of "mask edge push / expand" to reduce the amount of missing pixels between colours.

PS!

When creating a project you are given a bunch of options "flip normal" "16 bit materials" - I'm just checking out the Wiki page on this and a bunch of options are not on the wiki "high quality curvature" + "Seam Termination" are both not there and would be great to know what these both do.

Replies

• Bmurray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know there have been a lot of posts recently about curve maps and some work arounds to get them to work - some are more effective than others.

as for the 'clown map', if you go under the mat ID adjustments in the dynamask editor, I believe you can adj. bright/contrast, blur and tightness to help dial in the mask.
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could be an issue with 1.9? I think the pillar was done on 1.8 and this is the first bit of work done on 1.9.
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Wait, is 1.9 now availabe?
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, is 1.9 now availabe?

Nope - I made a mistake :) 1.8 is the latest, I thought it had updated recently but it was just updating 1.8 at home.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stormy BA the problem you are describing with the color ID map usually occurs when the mask isnt sharp enough, maybe there are some soft transitions between the colors?

As for curvature, have a look here:http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=inputmaps
    to see how all the inputmaps should be created :)

Let me know if you have any more questions!
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you think of any possible reasons why my current curvature is not working? Would it just be the method of creation in the first place? I've only used the convert map tools from within nDo. Thanks eric
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im investigating this! Will report back ASAP
  • StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had some issues with another texture today.

Again the cavity didnt work and ended up having to get what I could out of the AO. I only plugged in Clown Mask, AO and Cavity. I know if there is a normal but no cavity then dDo creates a cavity from the AO. A lot of work I do I dont really need normal maps and tend to just try and get the cavity out of pretty basic hight maps in nDo.

Maybe im just not plugging in enough textures?

thanks for the reply's eric, hoping we can figure out what the issue is. Seems like a great tool but seem very relent on the one map that i cant get working :)

Zes6rQF.jpg
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a first step i print-screened your normal map from the second picture you posted (Super crude way of working I know) And created a project with that, I used the same material that you where trying to apply "Scratched painted metal 02" and it worked perfectly.

Could you try that project with just the normal map as well to see if you get the same results?
  • ollitei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA wrote: »
    a transparent edge to the masks where the colours meet.

I noticed the same thing with the normal detail screws attached onto the steel surfaces in my own project as well.

At first, I went around that by removing the screw "holes" in the steel material's mask which cleared the problem perfectly but that can be a lot of work in case there are a lot of overlapping material id's. Afterwards I found it's usually best to choose both the steel mat-id (red in your case) and the screws' mat-id (green in yours) together when making the steel material. Usually looks good that way but it might still get some small variance into the id edges. It all comes down with the colors you have chosen for the materials. Some color combos are more difficult for dDo to separate. My steel is a grey (colorless) id color and the screws are blue (colored) and it seems to work quite well.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so after much investigating we came to a wierd conclusion, There is something wrong with the curvature file, we took the pixels (copied r g b channels) and pasted in a new document, saved that in to a new file and re-imported inputs in your project with the new file and it works! Here is the kicker, it doesn´t work on all machines, which is just even more confusing!

It would be great if we could get as much info as possbile about what version of PS you used and what settings you saved the file with, we will investigate this further but i thought that I should update you on where we are right now.

Here is the file if you want to try it on your machine:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cp6un1jdr4pz864/Curvature.tga?dl=0

The search goes on!