Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Character Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Miss Fortune

Replies

• DmitryGrebenkov
    Offline / Send Message
    DmitryGrebenkov polycounter lvl 3
  • bloecher
    sooo nice! now that you tried 2 workflows, can you tell which one works better/ faster for you? do you feel sculpting the details (ornaments, ..) takes more time as painting them later?
  • DmitryGrebenkov
    Offline / Send Message
    DmitryGrebenkov polycounter lvl 3
    bloecher That's the tough one :D That depends on pipeline.

With sculpting the sculpt takes more time (at least for me at this point) then baking process, but it is more fun cos you see almost the final result on early stage and can do fixes so in case of Riot pipeline with all fixed and approves and changes (i believe that there are many of them during the process) it works better. Texturing itself much faster with all maps and result more natural. For example you need some minor touches to make ornaments looks good and shaded.

When doing model old school modeling then painting i feel it is more faster and more control cos you do lowpoly first and planing and optimizing model along the way, then paint textures. Also no feeling of wasted afford cos you don't use normal at the end in engine. But painting process itself takes more time and result can be bit more unpredictable cos you see the result on final stages. Old school less interactive in the pipeline and require more experience from art director to see how the final result will look like at the early stage, and also require to be sure in artist who will paint it and how artist will paint it. With highpoly sculpt even baked and composed maps + flat colors already make model looks cool.

So as for me - i will use highpoly sculpt when i can cos the sculpting itself is very fun process :D
  • bloecher
    thank's for sharing your opinion! true, skipping the sculpting phase is somehow sad :D
  • RemusNeo