Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Worn Out Caravan WIP - (UE4)

Garasin
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Garasin polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone,

I'm a student currently working on my final year project. I'm plan on keeping this thread updated as the project goes along. Please note most of the assets in the scene at the minute are placeholder.

The basic premise of my scene is that it's an old worn out caravan, inhabited by a man who has lost everything and has been taking out his bitterness towards the people he believes have wronged him in various heinous ways (not a very nice man!). The goal is to tell this mans story through the environment, as well as having a polished looking scene by the end.

I'm using a piece of concept art as a basis to work from but I'm taking a lot of liberties with it in terms of how the end result will actually look. I'm basically using it as a starting point as I love how it looks and I like the initial idea with the blueprints, photos, maps, etc scattered about and on the windows.

concept-art.jpg

Here is my progress so far...

HHipCC2.jpg
0H5nD6j.jpg
ZJD82Uk.jpg
cDPDn1q.jpg
B1d43J2.jpg
FYK1cC0.jpg

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I'm also running a development blog alongside this thread so please feel free to check that out. https://artofchrisreid.wordpress.com/

Thanks!

Replies

• Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I tweaked the lighting a little due to the previous lighting looking rather flat.

9WEuHg5.jpg
    Gw1PpQL.jpg
    zcd3pQw.jpg
    45y3gL5.jpg

Thanks!
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I haven't been in a caravan all my life.. but it certainly seems a bit huge. Most of the references I saw look a bit crammed.
    Are you sure this room would fit into a caravan? I mean even in the concept it's not the smallest room but I feel like you stretched it even more to a point where it might as well be a normal room.
    The scale of the objects is spot on though and I'm looking forward to the finished version!
  • Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, thanks for the reply!

The size of the environment was something me and my project supervisor were deliberating for quite some time. He was concerned it might end up to small as an environment for a portfolio piece but also we still needed it to feel like a caravan so it couldn't get to large.

I've quickly re jigged the scene a little and moved some stuff around. Mainly, I've brought the front wall forward, removed the armchair and placed the desk where it would have been and plugged up the alcove where the desk would have been with some BSP. Naturally I'll fix the desk so it fits better in it's new space and doesn't jut out and block the couch, I'll also fix the new wall instead of just using a chunk of BSP.

HPaST9y.jpg
    cx4kcB3.jpg
    B58ixi1.jpg
    hlBH5rf.jpg
    DWZ5hLS.jpg

Any thoughts on this new arrangement?