Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student Environment - KungFu Panda 2

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Wolves polycounter lvl 2
Hi I would like some help and guidance on my scene, please.

In UDK:
YUUnwHR.png

Screenshots:
T6VaeEY.png

Concept Inspiration & Kungfu Panda 2 Movie:
2rW4pnq.jpg

I've deviated a lot from my original concept, especially in terms of lighting, but critiques to improve this scene would be appreciated. ♥

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Can you give us a breakdown of all your texture, materials, and objects in the scene?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Personally I think you should have done an entire block out of the scene and got the camera angle like you wanted before you did anything else. The purpose of the blockout is to get the scale and proportions correct before you spend time detailing them and making them look pretty.

Unless you're making the scene a shooter type game I would just stick with a dedicated camera.

Your lighting is really dark and saturated. If you want to deviate from the concept in terms of lighting that is fine, but you should still try and find some reference of the kind of lighting that you want and use it as a guide.

Also look into using light probes and skylights.

Hope this helps! :)
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Here's a breakdown of the scene in Maya:

Without Normals and Colour:
    B3o6CKW.png

With Normals and Colour:
    bX5ehXs.png

Also re-reading the brief, I believe we need to capture the same lighting as closely as possible so any tips on that would be great as I haven't had much experience with UDK 4.

Thank you!

Update:

I try to fix the lighting some more, but I'm having difficulty getting it to match. The lights don't do what I want them to do. ):

0okqsDD.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The lighting is slowly getting there It hink.

You need to add appropriate noise and gloss to the floor. It's too clean unlike the concept.

Your take on the tree isn't quite working. I'd recommend doing what the concept did and use those geometric shapes at the base.

Do you have normal maps on those pillars? Or enough geo? Because right now its reading too lumpy.

Also, I think there should be doors in the back, not a wall, that open to the sky like in the concept.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Yeah, I'm not happy with my pillars. I've spent different ways of doing them but since I'm pressed for time I'm only going to go back when I can.

How do I apply noise in UDK 4? I've tried playing with the nodes but it won't apply the noise onto the floor. My refraction node doesn't seem to do anything either. Might just be doing the wrong thing though.

I changed the colours of the walls to match the concept more and the top part is actually open for natural lighting, I'm just having a hard time getting it to work.

H30ybSq.png
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    UOQfl7n.png

Been playing around with the lighting some more, I can't seem to get the orange tint in the floor and the blurred reflections in Unreal 4, can anyone help?