Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PBR Raygun - Dr Grordbort's Pearce 75

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
marcobar polycounter lvl 4
UPDATE:

I've been working on adjusting the wear and tear across the whole gun, and trying to add a few more visually interesting bits on the larger shapes of the gun. I made the discs at the front scorched-looking so that they match the surrounding metal, and finally just did an overall pass to make sure the metalness and material definition is more consistent throughout. Final critique of this is happening in class tonight, so there'll likely be some more changes to come after that:
Nkslsbf.jpg

Hi Polycount,

I'm working on a model of a Raygun for school, and have been using the Pearce 75 gun from the Weta prop workshop (the same shop that made the Righteous Bison, for all of the TF2 fans out there) as a reference. I gave myself a limit of 6,500 tris (of which I used 6,499).

Right now I'm working on texturing it, and was hoping to get some feedback from everyone. There are some areas where I feel like it's lacking, and I want to see if other people feel the same. If you spot any modelling/bake errors, feel free to mention them, too!

Marmoset Shots:
Is0X2SJ.jpg
H9X9BNv.jpg
4Qryz1z.jpg

Shot from UE4 with Emissive effects:
kreQgJH.jpg

And finally, Texture Flats (Albedo, Normal, Metal, Roughness):
C1DyALD.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Hello Marcobar! This is looking pretty cool, it reminds me of the raygun from Fallout in some regards!

Definitely dig the emissive on the front of the gun! I think you can push your piece even further by adjusting the wear throughout the gun. The wear around the emissive piece is looking good but the rest of the gun is rather flat and feels as if its been sitting in a puddle of water or something and has a thick layer of dirt and rust on it.

Perhaps you can try giving the rest of your paneling, along with the grip and the wing the same sort of detailing you gave to the front of the gun. Having the nice contrast between the shiny and more matte parts of the gun could give you a more appealing result.

Really dig the piece overall!
  • marcobar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! It definitely has that Fallout/retro vibe to it, which is what attracted me to the prop to start with. I wanted to make something with a sci-fi edge, but something different from a slick Destiny or Mass Effect style rifle.

The overall flatness is something that was mentioned in my class critique: I basically have two texture layers on most of it, a greyish paint on top, and then a layer of metal on the bottom. I've been looking at finding an appropriate texture to add as a 'third layer'. I put some fingerprints and smudges in the roughness, but it didn't end up being quite as noticeable as I'd like :( I'll keep at it.
  • marcobar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress from today and yesterday. I did some experimenting, and ended up choosing a new layer of detail to put on top. I settled on a greenish, oxidized and distressed metal. I've also tried to put some scratches on 'sticky-outiest' parts of the gun:
    7Y6VUDq.jpg
  • marcobar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update: I've been working on adjusting the wear and tear across the whole gun, and trying to add a few more visually interesting bits on the larger shapes of the gun. I made the discs at the front scorched-looking so that they match the surrounding metal, and finally just did an overall pass to make sure the metalness and material definition is more consistent throughout. Final critique of this is happening in class tonight, so there'll likely be some more changes to come after that:
    Nkslsbf.jpg
    YZqFyUS.jpg