Home General Discussion

PC build for maya/photoshop/ zbrush

uk_resistant
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
Hi folks,
Looking to put together a pc for working with intensive programs like Maya,photoshop, zbrush,Unity etc but i have been out of the PC building game for a long time so I wanted to get some advice on my build. Below is what I have so far (with a budget of around 1100) but im concerned that the Processor (and in turn MOBO) might not be the best one for me. Currently it is a i5 but im wondering if an i7 is more applicable. I may also up the graphics card too as I'll want to play games but this is secondary to work. Any advice would be grand!

0je6pNb.jpg

Thanks

Replies

• Ispheria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    For the most part, I think your build is fine depending on how intense your work is. But I'd get a different SSD if I were you. I've nothing but bad things about Kingston SSD's. If you're doing some intense stuff though I'd scrap the graphics card for now and get an i7 and save up for a better graphics card down the line. Pretty sure Nvidia is going to announce the 960 or something pretty soon, hopefully it'll drop the prices of other lower end graphics cards. The motherboard is fine.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I second the Kingston comment, avoid them at all costs. They have shady practices and have changed the internal hardware in drives to slower versions, without changing the name or telling customers. You might not be getting the speed and rates you paid for with their products.

An i7 is only going to really help with render and baking times. It won't help as much with general application performance, or game performance.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Go for Samsung on the SSD
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with the comments so far...ive got an i7 but i think an i5 might be alright I would think :). Deffo go for Samsung for their SSDs. Be careful on your PSU. You get what you pay for. Read up reviews on it!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Be Quiet makes good PSUs, but in the US their prices are high end, but the products are more mid range. They appear to be cheaper outside the US. It might not be the best option if there's higher rated PSUs around that price.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hyper 212 Evo should be more than enough and save some $$

You'll run into limitations with the mobo/cpu well before cooling becomes an issue. For ref, I was running a 3570K @4.2 with a 212+ in a Corsair 650D case. No problems at all!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That Noctua is great if you want the CPU cooler to be as quiet as possible and have performance similar to all in one liquid coolers. It's definitely overkill unless you really want the silence, a huge overclock, or both.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    And if you want the silence you're probably looking at a custom setup for the GPU as well as even with a non-ref cooler the fans can get a bit noisy in heavy UE4 scenes.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There is models of the 980 and 970 that fans don't even turn on until heavy loads (League of Legends doesn't even make them turn on). But UE4 isn't mentioned in uk_resistant's post, just Maya, photoshop, zbrush, and Unity, all of which should be pretty low in GPU usage.
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    wow, thanks for all the comments guys!

I swapped out the kinston SSD for a crucial one (256gb) as it was about £75.I also upped to an i7 and upped the graphics card anyway.

Switched out the noctua cooler for the one recommended too.

Thanks for all your help again!