Home General Discussion

Want to buy a mobile graphic tablet, don't know which one

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

as X-Mas is closing in I'm thinking of upgrading my Hardware a little bit.
For this I'm looking for an mobile tablet, but I'm not sure which one.

I want to use different 3D Tools (3DMax, Zbrush, 3dCoat, Photoshop etc.) on it to be able to work while traveling or in my lunch break.

So far I found the Microsoft Surface 3 pro and the Wacom companion.
The price difference is really big between them, is the Wacom worth the additional 1000€?

Did anyone has experience with these kind of tablets?
Any suggestion what to look for?

Replies

• inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    +1 for Wacom Cintiq Companion.
    I read some reviews about, it's really good choice for photoshop/painter work, not sure about 3d apps.
    here's demonstration of painting process in that tablet:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCy_NpAgmSU"]Roman Guro. Emotional ConceptArt on Wacom Companion (??????? ?????????) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    The companion is definitely better. It uses Wacom tech, and it can replace your desktop tablet when at home.
    As for whether or not it's worth the extra thousand... probably. Again, it also replaces your desktop tablet, and a comparable 13-inch Cintiq would cost about a thousand.
    It also has the awesome Wacom side hotkeys, which would be a MASSIVE boon while working on the go without an easily accessible keyboard.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Well price diff is smaller than that tough. The Surface Pro needs a case, or that keyboard case.

The Companion has enough hotkeys to not use a keyboard. I ended up getting a Companion after doing a ton of research on them all. I really like it. It's not super portable. It's laptop size. But it's great for me. I don't have a desk at home. I use a laptop on the kitchen table or Companion on the sofa. I took the Companion on a trip with me recently. On the airplane it was too cramped for me to use. But once I landed and unpacked it was awesome to be painting with my normal set up.

The Surface Pro 3 pen and shiny screen were the real sticking points for me. It's def more portable. But I like having the hotkeys on the Companion, matte screen, and Wacom pen.

One negative with the Companion is it came out October 2013. And they haven't updated the proc or anything yet. So it's getting a bit outdated now. But again for ZBrush, Maya, Phoshop, 3D Coat I have no issues with it still. Also the batt life is horrible with 3d stuff. With Phoshop it's about 6 hours. Which is enough time for me to need a recharging breaktime. 3d work it's about 3-4 hours. Oddly enough Sketchbook Pro eats batt life like a 3d program. Not sure what's going on with that.

All that out of the way I would totally rebuy a Companion today after having used it for 5 months.
  • L0ckeness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L0ckeness polycounter lvl 5
    If price isn't an issue, the modbook pro is a pretty nice solution to your dilemma :)
  • josephrohdes221
    The first thing to figure out is if you want one where you draw on an active screen or not. Obviously the ones that aren't also displays are a lot cheaper. Though even the ones with displays won't give you the immediacy of paper (and they lose accuracy near their borders).

If you've never used one before, you might want to get a cheapo from monoprice(or a similar brand) just to see how they feel. If you feel you want something better get a tablet from wacom.

You might also consider getting a Samsung galaxy note 10. It uses wacom pen technology (called an s-pen), that while not as good as wacom's own tablets, is better than a standard touch screen which detects pens the same way they detect finger presses.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the answers.

@Josephrohdes221: I already have a Cinq 13 HD at home and just looking for a "mobile drawing system" so I can "work" also on vacations etc.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment I'm rally leaning towards the wacom.

Did anyone has experience with 3D Tools running on it (Max, Maya, zbrush)
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    3d work it's about 3-4 hours. Oddly enough Sketchbook Pro eats batt life like a 3d program. Not sure what's going on with that.
    Sketchbook Pro is hardware accelerated if I recall correctly. That is most likely the reason for poor battery time with the software.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Ah. Makes sense then Denny.

Dethling. Yes Maya runs fine on it. I don't use it much as I really need a keyboard/mouse combo to model. I mainly use the Companion for painting in Phoshop/3D Coat and sculpting in ZBrush. Also xNormal cause my other computer is a Mac.

ZBrush I can show on screen about 2 million points then it gets chuggy.