Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Project Study [W.I.P.]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
VGuerreiro polycounter lvl 8
Hello Polycount! I'm new around here, and I'm trying to improve some skills. I'm also kinda new to the game pipeline and 3D modeling in general.

I recently completed a degree in Cinema and Multimedia (which had very little 3D related classes) and I hope one day to get into the games industry.

As I hope to share knowledge and improve my work, crits and comments are always welcome!

For my first post I'm showing some W.I.P. on a humanized cat-like character I'm working on.

I will try to keep this model in under the 2500 polys budget and I might make him some clothing and props.

For now I'm hand modeling this as a practice exercise, I will be studying some mudbox sculpting further down the line.

This is the main body blockout:

ba5Tzfr.png

PR8ZxVo.gif

And here I have the hand model:

9eXu7sk.png
lZp1Oxz.png

Again, the full body but with the hands attached (still a lot of tweaking to do):

omuWD4S.png
71KEpEm.gif

Again, any comments, critics are very welcome :).

P.s.: I had this posted on my Digital Sketches thread, but I migrated this project here since I noticed all the other digital sketchbooks are more about 'actual sketches'.

Replies

• TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheAxiom polycounter lvl 3
    It's great that you're starting from scratch, though you may not need to. A lot of artists nowadays use software like Mudbox and ZBrush will supply you with an entire base mesh body to start from, from then onwards you can pull out sections of the head to give it ears, etc.

Might be worth a go. It should help you improve your anatomy too. :) Good luck!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Guerreiro, are you using existing human anatomy reference at all if you're using a human body for the cat?
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheAxiom wrote: »
    It's great that you're starting from scratch, though you may not need to. A lot of artists nowadays use software like Mudbox and ZBrush will supply you with an entire base mesh body to start from, from then onwards you can pull out sections of the head to give it ears, etc.

Might be worth a go. It should help you improve your anatomy too. :) Good luck!

I know that, but I've not yet started studying digital sculpture, I might start working on some MudBox Tutorials in a few weeks/months.

Yup! I'm doing this 'by hand' to practice.
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guerreiro, are you using existing human anatomy reference at all if you're using a human body for the cat?

Yes, I've used some reference (photos - google) for both the cat-like face and the human-like body. I'm not yet 100% happy with some shapes and proportions, but I'm working on it.

Also, I'm not yet totally sure about the general design as I'm doing this based on a design of a friend of mine but I might give it a twist.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you mind posting these references side by side with your model so we can do a gesture check?
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you mind posting these references side by side with your model so we can do a gesture check?

Oh, I'm not using a specific set of references, I basically looked at some male photos and anatomical drawings in pinterest, nothing too specific. I searched for references as I needed them, for specific parts of the body/ (arms, legs, etc) etc.

Also, this is not the 'final' pose, as I might rig the thing for later posing and the final rendering.
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showing references would be good idea to show what you're aiming for. Perhaps the neck is too wide/short and the head is too big. Be careful of where you place 3 sided faces to prevent issues with sculpting with higher subdivs. Other than that, it's pretty decent mesh and the topology looks good :)

Yup! that's a good point you both stated there, I should be working with a better considered set of references, not just looking for it as I go! Thank you guys for the tip! Next time I'll post an update I'll be working with more specific references.

About the tris, I might go over the topology after finishing the model... I might be adding some clothing and props (not yet sure if I will have the time, as this is portfolio - personal work). Also, I probably won't be doing any high-res work on this one. As I said above, I'm using the project more as an exercise for poly modeling and later to practice some PBR texturing/rendering. But I'll try and keep an eye on those tris. Thanks!
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About the references, I will ask my friends permission to show his original design to show you what I am kinda looking for (however, I might not follow his design thoroughly).
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update! I'm still struggling a bit with some of the shapes. But here I did some tweaking in the feet and the upper arms and chest.

9jjfnrS.png
    I3677IH.png
    7k4cUTi.png

Here is the original design illustrated by Pedro Miranda (artstation profile - Check out his work) :

VEw12Y6.jpg

I might end up with a bit of a different design, I'm looking for a more humanized and bulky character. Also, I might change a bit the clothing and the I'm thinking on giving him a scythe instead of a sword.

And here are some of the anatomical references I've been using:

JrNUmnF.jpg
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally another update! I've been bit busy but here is what I've been doing on this project:

I already did some basic clothing and now I'm starting to model some props.

LPEhgY3.png
    ElGiAPT.png

I might tweak the face structure a bit, specially the eyes.

Another thing I wanted to do is a lamp hanging on some chains attached to his clothing.

However, I'm not yet sure what's the best way to do the chains.

I've started by modeling a ring and then duplicated it and rotated to create the chain model and
    now I'm thinking on rigging the chain with some bones so that, when attatched to a spline, I could pose the chain the way I wanted to.

Here's a screenshot of the work in progress for the chain:

5uo899Q.png

Any ideas on how to properly model and rig a chain for in-game rendering and animation?
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the chains and placed the main part of the lamp.

Screenshots of the updated version:

QNf40NB.png
    yx0v8ss.png

Next I'll finish the lamp and then it's time to revise some shapes and a general overview of the topology.

Any Comments, Critics and Opinions are welcome!
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update on the hand-painted texture work.

SqTijmI.png
  • VGuerreiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another quick update:

- rigging test. The problems I've found might not be solvable without great reconstruction,
    so some of those I might end up not solving, because I'me a little busy for now.
    Most of these problems are due to the low resolution of the model and some problems with the anatomy.

The main rig includes:
    - FK/IK switch,
    - Weapon grasp control, with second hand automatically following the movement
    - reverse foot control
    - dynamic Spline IK Chain simulations for both the cloak and the chains.

CEif4Ff.png