Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Self Portrait - Help me improve!

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Wolves polycounter lvl 2
Hi, I have to create a self portrait for a uni project and would love any critique and help you could offer. I'm still working on it and I have quite a bit still to do but any help you could offer is appreciated!

I'm doing the hair through the transparency technique and it's taking a while. Any tips would be awesome!

Thank you

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Some presentations notes:
    -Pull all your hair back for your reference photo. Hair is "easy" to get in later, but its blocking features like the ears and stuff that can help while skulpting. Worry about it later. Get your face looking like your face, then do the hair later.
    -Make your sculpt grey or something. Adding make up with a pale color gives it a reallllly creepy feeling right now.

In anycase, neck in the skulpt is flowing out. Necks dont do that for the most part. It goes stright down. In fact, it'll be good if you knew why features of your face are the way they are.
    stock-photo-16605912-anatomy-of-female-head-muscular-system.jpg

The over all impression im getting from your sculpt is blobby. Your face is a lot more defined and smooth, around the neck and chin area specifically compared to the skulpt. If you were to break up your face into planes and go from there, it might help to get your definition right.
    facial-planes-painting.jpg

Are you working in Zbrush at all?
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Yes I am, I'm swapping between Mudbox, Maya and Zbrush. Thank you for your help so far! I'll try work into the face some more.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you can, I'd recommend bringing your sculpt into mudbox and throwing a gray matcap on it so we can analyze your sculpt better.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Here's the Zbrush sculpt, I'm going to be adding a body later, so just ignore that it's floating for now. Thank you. :D
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have multiple angles as well?
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You really need to take refs without your hair being painfully in the way. You need a clear view of your features.
    Also, make sure perspective is on when you sculpt. There's a lot of strange issues on this sculpt, it's really at no point to be projecting textures onto just yet! Keep working it :) You might want to go back to a lower subdivision for now, too, until you nail the major forms.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I recommend using IMGUR to hosts images in Polycount using the BBC code. Makes the image thumbnail and image pop up in the thread directly.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you for the advice so far guys! I have taken some pics with my hair out of the way but I'm trying to get it to look as much as the reference as I can. It's due in soon so I'm doing my best to improve it while juggling everything else too. :P

I've fixed the neck, added a body, and changed the face a little bit? Any more advice? The back of the head looks a bit weird to me but since it'll be covered with hair I'm not focusing on that currently.

Please also ignore the hands for now as I need to work on them still.

Please give me direct things I can improve! :)

XQLstQ7.png
    u8mrpcu.png
    oGg9LTh.png
    u2PaDiK.png
    8kizPpz.png

Thank you!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Lower subdiv so its easier to create flowing forms as opposed to lumpy ones, and never use Red Wax matcap for sculpting. Basic Material or Basic Material 2 are more accurate.
    Rework the lips and you need a little more bulk on the upper cheek.
    For the lips:
    xlarge-Head-neck-Block-outs-145.jpg
    xlarge-Head-neck-Secrets-157.jpg

Good luck :)
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you very much! That was really helpful. I found ZBrush lost the lower subdivisions somehow when I went back to the file so I'm guess I'm stuck with lumpy unless there's a way to make a higher res sculpt lower res?

umTfEFI.png
    gg3sMGW.png

Thank you!
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I've noticed that you're also sculpting it asymmetrically. I highly recommend sculpting it symetrically first, and then going back afterwards and making all of the important changes. Study muscle structure and landmarks of the face and try to match those up.

Likenesses are tough, even if it is your own face. Some landmarks to look for are the underside of the jaw, the angle between eyes and nostrils, etc.
  • Wolves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolves polycounter lvl 2
    Because I sculpted it asymmetrically when I first made it, when I try to sculpt symmetrically for some reason one side the brush works on but the other side its a lot lighter, so it doesn't work for me. ): No idea how that happened even.
  • Sanislov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanislov polycounter lvl 9
    Couse you need to start it symmetrical. Brush cant really find the same surface in symmetry if the base model is asymetrical. Try apply smart resym.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Also, start over. I dont think you're getting anywhere with this one.