Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Next gen (PS4/XBO) Bathroom Environment

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Still a lot of placeholders and missing textures. Assets intentionally have higher polygon counts and textures for a closed environment for targeting next gen consoles.

I will fix the scale/proportion.

Also, ignore the FPS thingy. When taking screenshots, it tends to jump up and down a lot (it actually runs at 100fps).

i4rv4swYTClzN.jpg
ibtCkrZtkMBOJH.jpg
ij6cozcsKxKuH.jpg
iCrngkW0P2OeT.jpg

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If this is for your portfolio maybe you should try to tackle something more interesting than a normal bathroom. Anyway, I'd focus on nailing down proportions and scene composition before moving on to small props like a toothpaste box.

Just a pet peeve of mine, but if you're going to take screenshots use UE4's screenshot function rather than hitting print screen.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I'll second what Sean says about taking screenshots. I'll even one up him and tell you to set up a static camera to adjust exactly how and where you want screenshots from. I did a quick blog post a while back. It might help.

http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=1166

Also on the making it more interesting comment. Try to tell a story through your art. A lot of people can model and material up awesome looking art but telling a story through that art will set your art apart.

Also the FOV on the current camera is totally off. Lowering it I believe?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I plan on saving composition for the end, since I have more assets I want to bring into UE4 that will help it look better.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    You should really focus on making sure everything is about the correct scale in correlation to one another.

Right now that room feels super short, 5-6 feet tall compared to the counter and especially the toilet. The toilet paper roll is also pretty massive and should be about 3/4-1/2 the size, and seems too wide compared to its length if its a standard roll and not one of those large ones with the cheap paper that are used in public toilet paper dispensers.

The door knob doesn't look bad except for the large amounts of pinching going on where the lock is, I'm guessing you used a sphere that you insetted in and tried to smooth out? It might be easier just to stick with a cylinder for the knob part and add supporting edge loops that turn it into a sphere rather than having a cylinder insetted into one. Either way, see if you can fix or minimize the pinching, which becomes a lot more obvious anytime you use a material as reflective as that.

^^Sorry I just noticed you said you'd fix the size problem, but the above still applies. I know it's still really early in the process. The thing that will probably sell the bathroom is by showcasing a variety of different materials and perhaps some more interesting architecture and curves. (The sink, toilet, etc. could demonstrate some rather nice curves and hard-edged shapes if you model after the right ones)

Possibly think about materials like wood paneling, different kinds of tiles, glass, mirror, lights, porcelian, painted cardboard (such as the colgate storage), toilet paper, curtains, window shades, possible wet floor/puddle, metal on the shower curtains or towel handle, towels, magazines, hairdryer, etc. and how you can make all of these materials interesting in correlation to one another, due to them being very different types of materials in nature.

You could have a lot of fun with the types of props you choose and in how you place them since bathrooms usually are filled with a bunch of little things, and can offer a rather diverse selection. (grimy vs pristine, your bathroom at the gas station vs a mansion's bathroom vs a post-disaster bathroom vs a suburban bathroom vs a hotel bathroom vs a McDonalds bathroom), cluttered vs elegant, possible water all over, possible steam or fog and condensation on the windows and tiles, etc)

Basically you have a lot of different options when it comes to bathrooms which could be fun to work on. Best of luck!
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I've gone back and corrected my scale. I realized my error was when I rotated my assets in the wrong direction and scaled them.

I still have my original measurements so I just re-imported them into the engine and didn't alter them again. I also found a human model on my hard drive and will use it as a reference.

Oh, and no more print screening the interface. :)
    ibwU4MWk6wdzPp.jpg
    i7NbdmxOa9Kxa.jpg
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Progress update: I've added some more objects and changed some of the materials. Everything is still not final and is using a lot of placeholders.

I've actually been working on this while I am in school. However, I'm going back to finish my assignments I have left before I continue with my bathroom. School ends for me this week, where I'll be on break next week. That's when I can finally add the final models and begin with some serious texturing.

i6y8KwwWq3WnG.jpg
    ibtrDqFg2FvzZn.jpg