Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stephan Messier - 2014 Character Demo Reel

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
smessier polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone, I wanted to share my latest demo reel for your approval (or disapproval). You can check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1rR7ceEYqI. You can also see texture breakdowns/more technical info at www.smessierobjects.com for each character. I'm still in the process of revamping pages, so a few character pages are incomplete.

Please let me know what you think.

For your reference, here's one of my characters in my reel:

djinn_side2.jpg

Replies

• doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doomprodigy polycounter lvl 5
    Personally I prefer a slower turn table, gives more time to check out the model. Right now it seems as if you're trying to fit all of your model turn tables in a certain amount of time.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    I agree. The rotation goes so fast that you can't have a good look at the models.
    Which is a shame, because the models look good.
  • smessier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the turn speed has been a common critique. My concern is having a reel that's too long. If I were to slow down the turn speed, which models would you want to see cut?
  • Kamezis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamezis polycounter lvl 4
    I agree, it's too fast. Plus, i would like to see more in term of breakdown, such as texture map.
    Maybe it's could be cool for the audiance ( studio ) to see how you works.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    When you mention "verts" (points) , don't you mean "tris" (faces)? Or am I missing something?
  • smessier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have breakdowns on my website. I wanted to give a quick overview of my best work from this year, but I didn't want it to be a 5 minute video. Again, if I were to give a greater breakdown/focus on models in a reel, which pieces do you all think I should cut, or focus on?

For the vertex count, I assumed it was as straight to the point as tris. I also feel like it's easier to see topology flow when it's in quads. Is that wrong? Should I be talking about triangles?
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I've just never seen someone mention just vertices before. Showing quads is cool, agreed that it looks cleaner. But my point is people usually show the poly count, not that vertice count.
  • smessier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I haven't seen it either. I just want to be different. But is there really a difference, ultimately? Is it less informative than tri-count? If so I should change it.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I'd say so, considering vertice counts are generally much higher than poly counts. Plus, most renderers base their lighting and such on faces, not on vertices. Not showing the amount of polys might appear sketchy to some people. Overall though, I really like your art style.
  • smessier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate that man. I just thought it was the vertex count that mattered. I'll have to do some tweaking. Thanks for your feedback Stirls.