Home Technical Talk

Maya based hard surface training?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Torch interpolator
Hey all, I've been a Maya user for a few years now and have become really comfortable with the program (originally started with Max though.) Up until recently I used to sculpt a lot of hard surface work but wanted to start improving my Sub-D modelling workflow for cleaner surfaces, more precision, etc.

The problem being that I haven't noticed a lot of hard surface kits demonstrating work specifically in Maya, I tend to see more training in Max regarding this. The closest thing I have got to seeing good hard surface training in Maya is Slipgatecentral's N0x project (e.g. armor design,) where he shows off some cool hidden tools within the program. I would love to get some more character/armor related training specifically for Maya, if anyone is able to recommend some. Thanks! :thumbup:

Replies

• AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Welcome to the struggle. So long as the tutorial videos don't use program specific tools like working booleans or super secret kaio-ken tools then you should be able to replicate the process in Maya.

Hard surface is mostly about topology and learning how to plan your topology to be able to support shapes as well as learning how to manipulate the smoothing behavior in Maya.