Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Snefer makes guns

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Snefer polycounter lvl 16
I have been doodling some guns lately, figured I'd put them in their own thread. Finished up a speedmodel rifle in about 3 hours, and now im doing a rocketlauncher, which I'm spending a bit more time on.

02.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg

Replies

• woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    3 hours for that?

ill just be over here, crying in a corner :poly134:

awesome work as usual, i didnt expect anything less :D

EDIT: are these all rendered in modo as well?
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Three hours :o
    Amazing! Love the rocket launcher.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Man I need to get into Modo!
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    This thread gives me a hard surface
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    3 hours... jeez

I need to keep practicing.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    awesome! I don't wanna be the one who uses it though, looks quite heavy :s
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    i think you are one of the best 3d artists ive came across my opinion.. spent hours looking at pictures on your portfolio site so much inspiration in one place! this is awesome like all your work but you know that already :P
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Impressive work as always.
    About your process; are you using a special plugin for Modo? One that merges / booleans the pieces together?
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    Zepic wrote: »
    Impressive work as always.
    About your process; are you using a special plugin for Modo? One that merges / booleans the pieces together?

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/modo/plugins/meshfusion/
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! : )
    woot: yup, rendered in modo.
    Zepic/Kaine123: Im not using meshfusion though, I'm using their smooth-edge shader, which is even more powerful than mesh fusion imho. This + meshfusion is a good combo though :D
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I really enjoy the renders, would you mind sharing your light setup ?

The rocket launcher looks pretty cool (although very massive and blocky imo for that its function is just to be pipe that propels a rocket with a scope),
    but the rifles design is very weak, many things are counterproductive and would hinder the gun at working. The picantinny dosnt work without a big extension,
    the handle would interfer with a scope, the weight is heavily frontloaded, magazine on front would give it the range of a pistol but having the weight of an LMG, the ironsights have accuracy of a RPG launcher, not to mention all the useless parts and the proportions which are not in visual balance -
    the problem is that the designs ignore the #1 criteria for design, form follows function totally, and the design as a cause is not convincing, very aesthetic or practical

You did really great execution of the design, the edges and shapes are very well done, the materials and setups are very nice and those things carry hard,
    but just modeling a shape that comes into your mind while modeling and that is convenient at the very second dosnt lead to the results you want and deserve, and will not offer you any new modeling challenges on top. Real life weapons
    look so crazy because they are exactly just what they need to be
    to function. They are so authentic because they follow that rule so hard.

Its not meant negatively from me, I just want to help of course : ) Nobody seems to dare say anything negative again and that dosnt help anybody (and sorry for the formatting, but polycount destroyed it somehow on firefox here)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont really have a light setup, just one of the HDR probes that ship with Modo, and then no additional lights at all.

regarding size of the rocket launcher, arnold have a thing or two to say about that!

Arnold%20Rocket%20Launcher%20150x120.jpg
  • doomprodigy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doomprodigy polycounter lvl 5
    Sometimes I like to watch your streams, other times I crawl into the corner and cry over them ;)

Excellent work as usual man, I've real got to make the move to this modo business.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    : P

Look at the size of his hand and the grip, (he can put his fingers around the whole launcher) Yours is 30% larger at least, would have 3x the weight and probably x times the cost, with no practical advantage, aside of the scope and being nuclear bomb proof i guess ; )

The launcher he is holding is 4 tubes with a rectangular casing, just enough to propel the rockets and have low production cost, plus some clips for belts and so on, but still has a very iconic look and charm which result from the bare requirements of the object. Everything on it has a purpose. There is no real tech inside, and if any, then inside the rockets. Its just an array of tubes. Your launcher is fine too, just a little bulky but makes sense for most part, the SMG just has lots of issues, just think about why you would need each part and how it would work and it will work out just fine : )
  • Tepcio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tepcio polycounter lvl 8
    Damn, these are awesome :O <sobbing here as well>
    I picked up Modo earlier this year inspired by your streams, started to love it after assigning every possible hotkey combination on a keyboard :D Keep up the great work man!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it's funny now that MeshFusion is sort of getting put to the side because we're realizing you can get similar results with super light geometry using booleans and the rounded edge shader. :P Add in some edge weighting and ... what else do you need?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well to be honest, Meshfusions strength is in rapid large shapes and iteration on that, its GREAT for stuff like designwork and making quick designs and designchanges. Making bulgy mechs have never been easier! :D But for smaller/harder details this kicks butt so hard.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    ..I'm confused (only opened up modo twice or something)..
    But isn't it about the end-result in a game engine like UE not how pwetty it looks in modo with a shader? :P

Ur stuff looks great btw, no comment there :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can bake what you see in MODO into base textures and then move it into UE4. Yes, it won't be 100% the same but it's a hell of a good start...
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    So, you can bake a rounded edge shader into geometry, or into the normal map?

Love the guns; super interesting to look at.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Been watching your stream whenever its up. My face keeps melting and is making me seriously consider moving over to Modo
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Into the normal map.
  • giakaama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    giakaama polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, nice broadcasts :), I have some questions though, what addons are you using for making booleans that quick ? Seneca ones, or others ? :)

And can you upload the broadcasts ( and those old ones that were deleted by twitch ) on youtube or vimeo because I really want to see them again. They were great.

Thank you
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    AdvisableRobin, can you share links with us?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And yeah, round edges bakes down pretty much exactly as it renders :) Im using senecas quickbooleans, yeah : )

My twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/torfrick/
    My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Askguden

Not all streams are there, but some. I'm trying to put more of them there, but mostly the ones im happy with and where i dont fuck things up (like my butt-ugly rifle i made the other day)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was doing some renderingstuff on the rocketlauncher today for fun : )
    06.jpg
  • WilliamVaughan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WilliamVaughan greentooth
    Really sharp modeling work. Thanks for sharing the walk through!
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    good technique :thumbup:
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    That rocketlauncher is the sexiest one i've ever seen :D

Btw,any idea if there is something similar to the Smooth-Edge Shader in tools like Maya/Max ? :)
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    So, if my understanding is correct, you do stuff in mid-poly and edges are smoothed with render engine. Is there a way to bake normal map from it?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As said before, yes, it all bakes to the normal map.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    My first reaction was: 3 hours? fuck off -sob-
    My second reaction: shit I really need to learn modo

I do agree with shrike though. Although it looks pretty the launcher design doesn't make sense. I mean, it has the rear support leg like a sniper rifle, but are you going to lie down with this? If so, how are you possibly going to support the front? Also not sure what the front heat shield is for.

Very nice work though.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    I'm yet to try Modo due to being knee deep in a project... but I'm wondering. Would you say that Modo makes hard surface stuff significantly faster? Or is it just preference? Because I'm looking at that rifle and I can't imagine doing something like that in 3h in 3ds Max. I know you have crazy experience already but that's just mad.

I know Modo has some great features, but does it really make THAT much of a difference? Because it looks like I would be insane to work on hard surface and not use Modo. :poly124:
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I love modo so of course i'm biased like crazy, but I do feel like its significantly faster. You can probably replicate alot of what I'm doing in max aswell, but thats just my assumption. I just feel like modo makes it alot easier : )

ghaztehschmexeh: to be fair, im not sure. The rear support and handle locations I just ripped off from a MAAWS : )

MAAWS.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    This thread gives me a hard surface

Spat water everywhere. 10/10 need a new tablet.

OP, brain transfer with me please.
  • citizen_j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    citizen_j polycounter lvl 13
    Could you share the playlist on the rocketlauncher vid? :-)
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    in Maya, there's a smooth preview by pressing 3.

Thanks but i don't think Snefer's Smooth-Edge Shader workflow is the same as the SubD modeling one in Maya,right ?

When looking at the rocketlauncher video i don't see any support edge loop or only a few,i've barely seen some Ngons here and there but when rendering everything seems like it was made with a SubD workflow with many support edge loops and so on (which is basically Maya's hard-surface workflow) .

Modo seems to be such a crazy software when you know how it worksO_O"
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Fansub wrote: »
    Thanks but i don't think Snefer's Smooth-Edge Shader workflow is the same as the SubD modeling one in Maya,right ?
    "
    You're right. As i remember in modo Tab is the same smoothing function as 3 in Maya.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Snefer wrote: »
    Well, I love modo so of course i'm biased like crazy, but I do feel like its significantly faster. You can probably replicate alot of what I'm doing in max aswell, but thats just my assumption. I just feel like modo makes it alot easier : )

ghaztehschmexeh: to be fair, im not sure. The rear support and handle locations I just ripped off from a MAAWS : )

I feel like with the scope placement on the MAAWS and the longer support/overall proportions lend themselves much more to a two-person kneeling launch. Which is how they are used as far as I'm aware. You'd probably really hurt yourself using one standing up.

I can't see how you'd fire yours standing up or kneeling. Both would hurt!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    264.jpg

:P
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like with the scope placement on the MAAWS and the longer support/overall proportions lend themselves much more to a two-person kneeling launch. Which is how they are used as far as I'm aware. You'd probably really hurt yourself using one standing up.

Hmm the proportions are the same as the MAAWS and the placement and length of everything is the same, its just that mine is thicker upwards and a bit shorter, otherwise its the same. :) I literally modelled out the proportions on top of a MAAWS so the proprtions wouldnt be off from a real launcher.
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Fantastic work as usual! Love watching the streams and seeing you work it shows me how much I need to practice.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More bevels! Also more shaderstuff, starting to explore some more stuff I can do in modo with my highpolys that I can transfer over to the lowpolys later.

07.jpg
    08.jpg
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    This is ridiculous for 3 hours; if I had any reason to not believe you I would. :P
    Joopson wrote: »
    So, you can bake a rounded edge shader into geometry, or into the normal map?

Love the guns; super interesting to look at.

Can someone link the stream please? Esdit: ooops, I'm dumb. Didn't see there was a second page with the links xD
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more modelling, need to rework some of areas of it that I am not happy with.

09.jpg
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome work, what areas are you not happy with and why?
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    JoshuaG wrote: »
    Ok I'm now looking into getting the student version of MODO and MeshFusion. As far as a "Smooth-Edge Shader" in Maya, there's a smooth preview by pressing 3. Then you can permanently smooth it with the Smooth option. I believe the counterpart of that in Max is called TurboSmooth.

I assume the 'Smooth-Edge Shader' in Modo is similar to the mental ray 'mi round corners' node in Maya. Mi round corners uses some bump mapping tricks to render bevels on corners without the extra geometry. The problem is that you can't bake a normal map using mental ray in Maya. (I think I remember seeing a workaround to bake mi round corners in Max though.)

Awesome work in the this thread Snefer. I'm no firearms expert so I won't comment on the design, they all look cool to me.
  • JVoye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    regardless of time this is simply outstanding, amazing work.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrapped up the rocketlauncher, still some parts that I'm not happy with, but time to move on! : )

10.jpg
    11.jpg