Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Seven days of Substance

gloriousczar
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
I bought Substance Designer a long time ago, and I messed around with it for a bit, but after seeing the AC:U art dump I was inspired to learn it for realsies. So I decided to try and make one new substance a day for a week. I'm over halfway there!

Crits please!

r2P8ff.jpg
ovqacU.jpg
6bgoEc.jpg
A4eloi.jpg

Replies

• c22dunbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c22dunbar polycounter lvl 14
    good start man. please carry on :) when we finish W3 i'll give SD a shot too. very promising.
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 5, did a sand substance this morning.

I can post my graphs if anyone is interested too.

@C22Dunbar - Thanks man! Yea it really is powerful, I just gotta get better at it. I'm having a lot of fun trying to figure out how to make the textures procedurally too.

sand.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    I can post my graphs if anyone is interested too.

Hell yeah post your graphs. These are looking great.

Are you doing these all inside of Substance with no imported maps or anything?
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok here's the graphs, some stuff might be pretty zoomed out so if anyone wants a more in depth explanation just let me know.

@HaydenZammit - Yea this is all in Substance, I haven't used any imported maps at all.

I also tweaked the roughness on the brick a bit.

brickV2.jpg

Brick Graph
    brickGraph.jpg

Wood Graph
    woodGraph.jpg

Concrete
    concreteGraph.jpg

Sand
    sandGraph.jpg

Tile
    tileGraph.jpg
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 6, made some mud. Not entirely happy with it, I'll go back later and try to fix some stuff.

The rocks were made using a procedural rock generator. I followed his tutorial for making it so huge thanks to him for that, you can watch the video on his vimeo here.

I wasn't sure how to do the water, does anyone know what should the albedo be? It should have a high gloss and low reflectivity, but since I'm trying to use the metalness texturing workflow I'm having some trouble trying to control it. I have the albedo at kind of a dark brown right now. I also have a height map for the mud but I couldn't get it to work properly in the viewport with my maps. Ah well time to stop looking at it I guess.

mud.jpg
    mudTest.jpg
    mudGraph.jpg
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    The results are great man, but for me those graph looks like a horror movie, is there a way to simplify that ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Nice. Moar!
    Ok here's the graphs, some stuff might be pretty zoomed out so if anyone wants a more in depth explanation just let me know.

Bigger screenshots where I could see node names without a problem would be nice.
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @s1dK - Thanks! haha yea those graphs probably could be simplified. The green tile was the first substance I did so it's probably pretty inefficient. However I'm not sure if all graphs are that crazy or if I just over complicate things.

@Mantragora - Sure man I'll post some closer pics after work. Anything specific?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anything specific?

Nope. It can be even in puzzle state, just to show each section. I can stich it together myself. Those that you posted right now will work as minimaps ;)

Thanks!
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    A way to simplify stuff is to figure out a neat way to make tools for topology colorization of your textures.
    But in general these graphs look small compared to something I would do :D

I think the thing you’re missing in the mud is more variation in the roughness. Having areas of dryer bits will help add to the spec variation.

As for the albedo of the water I would try a more milky look of the mud like this. Right now it is too mirror like. Also things that are wet become more staturated so think of that when doing wetness/water on material or textures.

mud.jpg
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    Very good work man !
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    These are really cool and well defined materials. Want to make it 14 days of Substance?
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Pretty awesome that you did it all just in substance. Is there any chance you could upload the substances somewhere? Would be awesome learning material.
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hayden Zammit & Mantragora - Yea for sure! I think I'll polish up these graphs and upload them instead of just posting screenshots. I also want to put them into Marmoset to get them all in one scene. There's a few more materials I want to tackle before that though. Also I recommend checking out the PBR substances that come packed in Designer, I learned a lot studying those too.

@Rogelio - Hey, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Yea, I never really thought of texturing based on topology before but I messed around with some height based automatic texturing this time around. I increased the variation of the roughness and changed the albedo of the water, what do you think? Again, thanks for the Substance tutorials!

@AdvisableRobin - I was just gonna do 7 days but I'm hooked now, I want to try some other stuff too so this definitely isn't the end :) I'll keep posting here as I finish them, I'll probably do another 7 days of Substance next month or January depending how busy December gets.

@Vincent_DEROZIER - Cheers man, thanks for the inspiration!

For the mud, I made it so the larger rocks are biased towards the top of the height map and small stones are placed towards the bottom. So when the map is more flat there's less small rocks and when the map is bumpy, the large rocks will disappear. The water albedo has a some of an alpha too to show a bit of the albedo of the mud underneath so the water gets a bit darker where the puddle is deepest.

By moving 4 sliders in my substance, I can get this much variation on the mud in about 20 seconds.

mudv2.jpg

Day 7, leather. You can change the coverage of the cracking, change all the colours on the albedo and the wear is based off of the height of the map and that colour can be changed as well.

leatherSubstance01.jpg

leather2.jpg

leatherGraph.jpg
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaaaalright so December was crazy! I had an art test and interview and new job (start next week!), got sick then went on vacation for a couple weeks. So finally I got home yesterday so here's these Substances. I didn't expose any parameters or anything like that so you can just mess around with everything freely.

Here's the link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ai13eq5p1tpgbmt/sevenDays.rar?dl=0

Enjoy!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.

One think that I can add, when you have uniform color that you blend later on with something, you can set its size to 1x1 pixel. One green pixel scaled later on to 1024x1024 will look exactly the same like 1024x1024 green pixels ;).

Now, you have to be careful, because if this 1x1 uniform color ends up in primary input (the one with dot) it will also rescale your operations later on. So if you are blending this 1x1 uniform color with something, make sure it doesn't end up in main input.

Or if you are blending two 1x1 uniform colors, make sure to set resolution multiplier correctly on a blend node.

Oh, and you can skip Invert Grayscale node if it follows Levels node. Just can do whole remapping in one node, by switching places of lower zippers in Levels node, while still using upper zippers for tightening scale.
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah that makes sense :) I should have paid more attention to optimization. I also never thought about inverting using levels. Thanks man, I will definitely use those tricks in the future :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    one thing to remember - water is actually not very reflective at all, it just has "perfect gloss". it actually has a reflectivity of around 0.02 which is about half that of the mud around it.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Thanks very much for sharing - I'd love to have a look at your mud but unfortunately the zip file does not seem to contain Rock_generator.sbs which seems to be required :(
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Lee, thanks for commenting, I had a question about that. I am using a metalness map instead of a spec map, how can I control the reflectivity of the water in Marmoset if I am using a metalness/roughness instead of spec/gloss? In Unreal 4, I could use the spec slot there right? But Marmoset doesn't seem to have any way to control the reflectivity.

sphereTest.jpg

In Marmoset, the sphere on the left has .02 spec, 1.0 gloss and the right one has 0 metalness, 0 roughness and they both look about the same.

And here's this water in Marmoset, with 0 metalness and 0 roughness. Again, thanks for the help, I'm having a tough time nailing down this water.

wudWIP.jpg

Chimp, sorry! I added that into the download, my apologies :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/22lehcqzhzmctf5/sevenDaysv2.rar?dl=0

Also for anyone checking out the mud, here's the main nodes I use to get different results.

mudGraphBlurb.jpg
  • rodstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hey thanks for the response :)

although sure they look "about the same" you can see the specular reflection is dimmer. That said, I've been working on an advanced metalness module for Toolbag2, which will include the same "specular" feature that UE4 and Frostbyte engines support.
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rodstone, thanks man, still got a ways to go though haha.

Lee, Yea you're right. I see the difference in the reflection now. Looking forward to that advanced metalness :)

Still trying to push this mud further. I might re texture the albedo and rougness, I think missed a lot of the subleties in the mud and relied too much on gradient maps.

Added grass though, it biases towards the topmost mud parts. Same philosphy as the rock, I made one blade, two clumps of grass, then splattered it around. Here's a couple screens from Substance.

wudWIP2.jpg

wudWIP3.jpg
  • LorasTyrell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LorasTyrell polycounter lvl 5
    This sand graph got me going in the right direction for my own one, thank you so much for sharing. Great job :)