Home General Discussion

Are there any old games you worked on that you still play regularly?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
I'm headed to a WWII fighter plane museum tomorrow for what is basically a LAN party playing IL-2 Sturmovik, which came out (depending on how you count it) 7-10 years ago. I was working on the installment that came out in 2004.

I know flight sims are kinda unusual for their sometimes VERY long life with mods and fan upkeep, but it got me wondering if anybody else has enjoyed the end product of something they contributed to so much, just from a gameplay standpoint, that they keep getting it out years later to play.

Replies

• StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't contribute to it, but it's the oldest game I still play on a casual basis
    Quakeworld 4on4 against bots. I still love it :icon60:
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Actually, I would be interested to know if developpers play the games they worked on at all.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Blond wrote: »
    Actually, I would be interested to know if developers play the games they worked on at all.
    I know I don't after spending months putting it together, and last few months playing the hell out of it, just isn't fun. If I worked on a multi-player, then I can see myself playing it after.

You just know where everything is and what will happen, not fun.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Lamont wrote: »
    I know I don't after spending months putting it together, and last few months playing the hell out of it, just isn't fun. If I worked on a multi-player, then I can see myself playing it after.

You just know where everything is and what will happen, not fun.

The long-time president of Zombie Studios, John Williamson, described it as a Faustian bargain... you get to make these wonderful, collaborative things, but you never get to enjoy the fruits of your own labor the way you can enjoy the things other people make.

Sandbox and sim games seem to be an exception since there's so little scripting and linearity.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Usually after spending the final weeks/months on a project play testing or refining the same problematic sections over and over and over, I never want to see a project I worked on again! Some of the games I've done light contract work on I would go back and dive into though, I imagine..since I never got 'burned out' on them.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I worked on Secret World, and it really got a lot of respect for its story and atmosphere. Just the things I value in games, but I just can't bring myself to play it. Also it's a MMO, and I ain't got no time for that.

It's easier now that I'm in outsourcing - we don't work as long on a game for me to truly get bored with its content. We just don't work for years and years on the same thing. So I actually do play some games I worked on. Downside is that we rarely get those games for free though.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is why I never want to work at a studio that I enjoy playing the games of. I don't want to ruin something that I enjoy.

That being said, I still play BloodRayne 2 from time to time and I believe I can play Ghostbusters again, but I haven't since my initial play-through.
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    Not regularly, no. The only game I've properly played through that I worked on was Goldeneye Reloaded, the others I haven't played through for a number of reasons;

One was a Kinect game (I don't own a Kinect).

One was so bad it was partly responsible for tanking the studio that developed it.

The one I currently work on is an MMO, and MMO's aren't really my thing.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I've played and completed every game that I've worked on, even though I've sometimes played them every day for years prior to that.

Something about not have debug keys, debug cameras etc. is liberating. Plus, GTAO is fun to play with friends.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man, I must be in the minority, but I have played through every game that I worked on. I don't play older ones regularly, personally...but I don't think any of them really have that level of replay value anyways. Although someday I do want to go back and play through Saints Row 2 again....
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've not played through GTAV yet, but mostly that's down to me not having time to do so.

I think I've played through everything else... but I probably wouldn't go back and replay 'em just for kicks. Always more new games out than I can get through as-is :P