Home General Discussion

Question about recruiters

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Leinad polycounter lvl 11
Hi Polycount, I have a quick question about recruiters that I haven’t been able to find an answer for through researching online. When a recruiter applies for an artist to a job, is the potential employer notified that the person applying is a recruiter or are they (the recruiter) simply pretending to be the artist they are applying for?

Also, when a recruiter has an artist sign a “right to represent”, how does termination work.

I recently was contacted by what seemed at the time a promising recruiter. Originally, there was an understanding that they were local resident. But when I realized that they weren’t being as honest as I had assumed I politely asked to forgo being represented in any form.

So if anyone can shed some light on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Replies

• MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    I have only ever known them to represent you other wise there is no way for them to make any money out of recruiting for you.

The general process is,

-Studio has position, either contacts recruiter or recruiter see's the spot on the website.
    -Recruiter finds applicant/contractor - sends thier info onto studio on thier behalf
    -If studio accept the applicant (after interview etc..) then a percentage of the wages or a finders fee is paid to the recruiter for finding the applicant.

If a recruiter were to pretend they were an artist it wouldn't help them to maintain a relashionship with that studio in order to get future roles from them, so would ultimatly be a bad idea.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Recruiters don't apply for jobs. Recruiters put you forwards for them, negotiate the contract, then take a fee or cut that you yourself never see.

A 'right to represent' takes a wide variety of forms, so there is no ballpark answer. Personally I would not sign one, just give verbal consent on a case by case basis.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the answers. In my case the recruiter spoke as if he had internal relationship with the company. But as I talked to him more I realized that he was being dishonest and was "working" outside of the U.S. for a recruiting agency inside the U.S.

I did sign a right to be represented for the specific job being "offered", but after my realization I asked the recruiter politely to not represent me to "his client". He was essentially trying to apply to a mid-senior level job when I don't have any of the required experience.

Again, thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it. My main concern has been whether simply stating that I do not want to be represented after having signed a documenting stating I do is enough to end the short interaction I had with this recruiter. Personally, I am never going to be dealing with another again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Teriyakistyle! Yes, everything was done through email so it's all documented.

Again, thanks everyone! This has been bothering me for a day or so since I really didn't understand the process.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    Yes be careful, i had an older collegue who was applying for a job through a recruiter for a studio that used to be in the same building as us, and we knew people who work there etc..

He ran into the CEO in the street and asked him how things were going and if he had got his CV from the recruiter, and they said they don't user recruiters ever, they are too expensive and too much hassel and that it says that on the website too.

My friend called out the recruiter, and the recruiter went crazy at him... it was a very odd situation...