Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Seeking Advice on High Poly Circular Object

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
Hey all,

I'm a bit confused with creating the high poly of one of my objects - I'm getting a pinching effect on the circle due to the parts which protrude out of it. I've created a quick graphic to illustrate my problem.

b49f9ec6bc.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated on fixing it. I've tried fixing it above like so, but it's still going to cause pinching on the outer circle I think?

Thanks!

Replies

• YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    IF you're working in Max there is a tool that inserts a "Flow loop" which could help.

But I think what you need to do is terminate the edges instead of running them to end of the mesh.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just played around using Flow Connect (loop) like you suggested and I think I have it looking fine now. Cheers. :)

cd0b3c654d.jpg
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping with another issue related to this mesh. I'm unwrapping and baking it down now, but I can't find a solid method to unwrap it efficiently and maintain a high-quality bake.

Here's a reference image of what I'm aiming for, sorry for the shoddy quality, it's from Google Maps.

eee92f0a75.jpg

What I've built so far:

6bb1c92d06.jpg

UVs of the object:

f07bff1949.png

The reason I've left so much space in the top area of the UVs is because I was hoping to fit the rest of the wall panel (shown in the reference image) on the same texture map. At the moment it's on a 4K texture sheet which I feel is too much for a reasonably-sized modular wall and a disc.

Any advice appreciated. :) I've uploaded the project files at https://www.sendspace.com/file/810gsy
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You need to make those edges a lot softer to bake down in a normal map.
    66q0O.jpg
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    You need to make those edges a lot softer to bake down in a normal map.

Do you mean chamfer the edges on the low poly, or make the edges on the high poly softer?