Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzardfest Goblin Tinker

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
molossus polycounter lvl 3
I would like to share my entry for the blizzardfest. The concept was to recreate an secondary character into a hero type. I started with a goblin tinker. It ended up being quiet a challenge going into different directions. Here are the results of that journey:
The mental ray renders:
big_24_zpsa7a9a194.jpg
big_100_zps911a1b17.jpg
big_24_cropCrop_zpsd3837f53.jpg
The mental ray turntable:
https://vimeo.com/111869109
https://vimeo.com/112113432
The sketchfab turntables:
[SKETCHFAB]90448731246b4672837d8b9a85bbe26a[/SKETCHFAB]
[SKETCHFAB]703cd357e44d4a9c93e6642b08d8b7a5[/SKETCHFAB]
The Marmoset Toolbag screengrabs:screenshot001_zps2e9b2779.png
screenshot002_zpsc1f470a2.png
screenshot004_zpscf7a869b.png
screenshot003_zps6b7541ab.png
Some Zbrush renders and due to deadline the entry I submitted:
mainBeautyImage_c_zps05e5070a.jpg
clayOnemage_c_zpse7c51ed4.jpg
clayTwomage_c_zps138ea119.jpg
clayTreemage_c_zps81351259.jpg

Hope you like!

Replies

• arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Very Nice! Different from the typical warcraft style but nice nonetheless
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice, good take on the Warcraft style. Well done.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the most obvious thing to me is:

the pose is incredibly boring. you can see that both hands have an almost identical posture, even the arms don't look different outside of a 90 degree shoulder rotation.
  • molossus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for the comments
    @TeriyakiStyle yeah must agree with you I used the same lightsetup as for the clay render. I found the uplighting in Marmoset but didn't get it right in Maya. Which is a bummer cause he is standing on a sort of grill which would indeed give nice lights. The fire doesn't give enough light.
    @almighty_gir h
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I really like the goblin, but I have to say: I'm totally lost with the spider-thing. In my opinion it doesn't read very well. I think the spider thing has too much detail and noise going on, no place to rest the eye. This is even more exagerated by all the metal-materials that also increase visual noise with pointy highlights. The particles finally add on top of that and ensure that all those tiny details are lost in your presentation. And also depth of field.

For a better presentation for a portfolio piece I would sugggest to tone down particles, just a light-setup that focusses on your gobiln with the spider thing as a supportive element.
    Depth of field should only be added for the close-up shots.
    So far you have a great model, great highpoly. It would be a shame to have the presentation drag down the otherwise great work.
  • molossus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    should have posted earlier... got some great feedback here.
    I guess as I modelled it it's much easier for me to recognize the shapes than someone that looks at it for the first time. Yeah the metal doesn't help. Should have made some parts of the legs more even. For the particles there are also some glowing metal parts that are too pronounced...
    Should make a paintover and change things but there is some much wrong with it I'll probably move on. That's the downside of participating at challenge for me. I don't have enough time to finalise it at a good level because I always keep adding stuff. But you don't get result that are portfolio stuff just some funny ideas. Therefore the next project wont be for a challenge were I hope to get good result in the end.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah you are right. Time is a issue in challenges and you don't have so much time to get fresh eyes on a piece to spot the things that others might throw of.
    But I think there is nothing wrong with changing camera angle and create a new light setup after a competition has ended, to get the best out of a project for your portfolio. At the moment the presentation pronounces some weak areas of the design. Changing some things will make this less aparent.