Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Grunge map breaks everything

So I was trying to see what the new grunge map feature does. I loaded in one of the included maps and the suite freezes. I close the suite and relaunch it. I then get the launcher telling me to download 1.7 (which I already have). There is no way round this and it takes an age to download. This has happened both times I've tried this. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the suite entirely. I'm using photoshop CS6 on windows 7 64-bit.

EDIT: Launching "C:\Users\Public\Quixel\SUITE\x64\bin\Release\SUITE.exe" manually works fine. I guess the default shortcut has some launch variable or something?

EDIT: Selecting the marque tool unfroze it. I guess it's sitting on crop or something, waiting for input? A little bug anyway. Not sure if this is related to the launcher thing.

EDIT: Yeah, it's sitting on transform. I guess this is for placement. I didn't realize because I had the suite covering up most of photoshop, and when it froze I couldn't move it to see what was going on.

Replies

• ghaztehschmexeh
    Another bug I've encountered is that smart material groups seem to be set have their groups set to "Normal" blend mode rather than "pass through", which is not allowing the baked maps etc to come through.
  • grimsonfart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    Can't get grunge maps to work as well. I get the ability to transform it but everything is white, and when i apply there is no difference.

Ok this is really wierd, it seems that the grunge map has overridden all the masks in the editor, and its the only one i can choose now...

Seems like the imported grunge maps are tied to the layers. If i delete the layer or create a new one it will go back to default.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reports guys!

ghaztehschmexeh: It is true that loading grunge masks will prompt a transform, sorry for the confusion. Did this crash the SUITE for you or simply freeze interaction with the SUITE? Either way it might not be as intuitive as I hoped for. Maybe the mask should just be placed, and you can go on to transform manually to avoid confusion. Maybe an option to toggle auto-transform (off by default)?

As for the updater issue: since you are getting the update prompt, could it be that you are launching an old install of the SUITE that has been installed to a different location?

grimsonfart: The DDO mask is white by default and the grunge mask is set to "Add" by default, this will result in a completely white mask and is probably causing the confusion. I have now updated so that the mask is black by default when entering an empty mask. Thanks for the report! As for overriding the other masks in the editor: true, anything added to the custom folder in the Dynamask PSD will stay on top of the other inputs. Maybe a "clear all custom layers" button in the UI for simplicity?

Thanks guys,
    - Teddy
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    It didn't crash the suite, just stopped me from interacting with it until I had finished the transform. Both the default shortcut installed with the suite and the one I made directly to the suite.exe are to the same location. Just that mine only launched the suite and not the updater. I guess we'll see if it's fixed with 1.8 :)

I also think that it'd be good if your custom painted layers/grunge maps showed up in the dynamask editor itself somehow, so you know what you've got and can easily delete/change opacity etc.

Also I feel that the mask should just be placed!