Home Technical Talk

zBrush: InsertMesh issues!

martynball
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
martynball polycounter lvl 10
1. Hey, think im using InsertMesh wrong, but here is my problem. I have the following mesh:
01-01_zpsf817cf21.jpg

I added my InsertMesh, basically they are beveled metallic holes in a belt.
01-02_zps95a04c14.jpg

And this is what it looks like when I unfreeze my mesh, as you can see it's not how I want it to look. I would use a load of sub tools but that would be alot of subtools in the list, so not really ideal!

01-03_zps984e07b6.jpg

2. Also, I imported some mesh into zBrush from Maya, the mesh was one object but multiple elements. Is there a way to select each element so I can seperate it from the sub-tool, without needing to reimport the entire subtool after separating it in Maya?

Replies

• jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    As to your first question, what I would do is duplicate the strap piece, increase sub divisions a few times, delete lower, use the insert mesh brush, then hide the strap mesh and delete hidden. Now you'll have two separate subtools. Reduce the divisions of the buttons/rivets to match the strap, merge the two, and they will still have separate polygroups. You can use polygroups to "separate" without splitting into several subtools.
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martynball polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm, gave it a go, but found a way that allows me to distribute the holes a bit more easily in Maya. Basically adding the mesh to a curve which it follows along the timeline, then at each frame I duplicate it, which leaves the hole mesh there.

Seems to be doing exactly what i want. Thanks though!