Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Forest Ruins Props - stuck, would love some critiques

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Thane- polycounter lvl 3
I started loving this initially, but at some point but after making some changes (so many i don't remember them specifically) its started to feel a little stale, something looks off to me. Am i just bored with it maybe since i've been working on it for almost 2 weeks? What would you change?

EDIT: btw, i've only done the mapping. The model was provided by EAT3D.com.

Default Max lighting.
SceneFront.jpg
SceneBack.jpg

Replies

• Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    How about a light on that pole shining down some soft orange cone of light and make the scene darker like at night, maybe raining. Would look good.
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    There isn't enough visual rest within the textures. They're very noisy, especially the normal maps. The concrete looks good, but the wooden planks and the model pieces all look way too bumpy.

The reason it feels weird is because you don't have a focal point, so your brain doesn't know what to look at. What Swarm said about adding a light in would definitely help push a focal point and bring the composition up a step.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks guys, that helped set me in the right direction i think. I toned down the bump map a bit and i agree that helped. I realized i became much more dissatisfied with the scene after i started toning everything green to make it look overgrown and to account for the green reflections i assumed it would have due to the setting, but i think its maybe too much. Same with the extra plant, beyond the initial grass it came with, too small and noisy maybe. I still don't know, but im going to put it on hold and come back to it. Thanks again.