Home Technical Talk

Real QUICK Subdivision Question, Please Answer :)

Sammy101
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
Hi I am getting pretty decent at subdivision. However I need to up my speed I think. I would like to know how long a gun like this would take to model? This model is made by Kimono, and is just a picture. (VLTOR SBR). How long would you have to model this in the industry? Also I would like to know the time for how long it would take to model if you were freelance.

Please help, :)
42f633eb49.jpg

Replies

• Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few years ago, 2 weeks for game weapons was appropriate. I don't think that really changed, but I'm curious to see what others will come up with.

For the entire process right? Model to Final Texture?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Speed doesn't come from putting yourself under a deadline and pointless pressure. Speed comes from knowledge that you build up with every project that you do. If you want to focus on getting faster than look to improve your workflow by learning hotkeys, finding scripts, setting up custom UI, and things like that. On the modeling side make sure you are finishing your projects to the best of your ability, because you wont learn much from a unfinished rushed project that you finished fast.
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Speed doesn't come from putting yourself under a deadline and pointless pressure. Speed comes from knowledge that you build up with every project that you do. If you want to focus on getting faster than look to improve your workflow by learning hotkeys, finding scripts, setting up custom UI, and things like that. On the modeling side make sure you are finishing your projects to the best of your ability, because you wont learn much from a unfinished rushed project that you finished fast.

I get what you are saying but I can make complete high polys to bakes. I made the SR2 below, that was a quick bake test I did, but for the most part it seems decent. I am only asking how fast others are modelling because I want to bring my speed up to the Industries level. Someone has said two weeks, so I am wondering if anyone else is challenging this time frame?

edit: Please note that I do use keyboard shortcuts and custom ui.

5430cf58b6.jpg
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Two weeks for a highpoly is not industry standard. You might be looking at 2 days for block, 2 days for finish.
    Well I know that they meant two weeks for a full model bake to texture. What would you say how long it should take for a full product? 1 Week maybe? Would be glad to know. :p