Home General Discussion

How long did it take before you got a industry job..

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
beefaroni sublime tool
.. that helped you grow as an artist?

Title was too long.

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I think it's very hard to not grow at all, if you are not doing something totally different then art at work.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    About 10 months, before I found something full time.
    At the first position I acquired I learned quite a bit about rendering.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    i had a semi-industry job. but it wasn't an environment terribly conducive to growing as an artist.

worked there for 2 years...but from the time i graduated school to my actual industry job about 18 months or so.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Don't have one yet. Graduated 2 months ago.

Looks like it's gonna take a while.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    little bit over a year after graduation. I spent at least 3 months polishing the **** out of my reel (thanks to my family for supporting me!).

At the first job I learned alot from the character team's lead about work attitude, sticking to deadlines, professionalism and facial anatomy. Thanks Ted, you were a great lead!

And I've been growing ever since. The time I stop growing I'll leave this industry. Not because there's nothing any more to learn, but because I can't catch up any more ;)
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I"v seen people get picked up at ravensoft..bioware..bungie, etc. right out of school. Nose to the grindstone and get that portfolio shining. then apply places every. single. day.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Worked for a year straight out of uni doing textures for an unreleased PS2 project (where I did illustration not 3d - there weren't any 3d courses in the dark ages!) That company folded and it too me 4 years till I got another gig. Been back in for 10 years now. Still learning.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Graduating from USC in December 2013, took two months before I re-upped a contract with TapZen. Huy Dinh, my assoc. Art Director there, mentored me something fierce. Learned a lot of subtle technical and soft skillsto prep me for early professional work, making sure I took care of noob mistakes earlier.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    reverendK wrote: »
    I"v seen people get picked up at ravensoft..bioware..bungie, etc. right out of school. Nose to the grindstone and get that portfolio shining. then apply places every. single. day.

lol yeah. I wish my uni had driven down the importance of the reel much earlier AND offer some classes for it much earlier.
    Although the time I spent freelancing also taught me some important skills - I just hated the uncertainty of the situation though. As newbie freelancer you often get the not so great gigs :/
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Got a gig straight out of school at Funcom in Norway back in the day. Learnt alot there.
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    Got my first full time contract with TT Fusion when I was still at Uni during my second year. I learned Maya (after learning Max at Uni), I learned how a studio works, the relationships and collaborations between designers and artists, I learned some awesome low-poly techniques and texturing methods that were so simple. I learned fair bit of technical stuff including simple things like where and what savings can be made, what was too high, what is too low etc. Really simple things when I think about them now but so invaluable.

I've learned a ton more at R*, I'd say you can't really go to a studio and not learn new stuff...is that possible? I'm guessing you'd have to be super-experienced!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    about 4 years lol. i was doing some freelance 3d work , but not games.
    was really hard to even get a reply back in the late 90's.
    advice is just never give in
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    About 6 months ish. Had about 2-3 interviews and then got an offer at DE. I'll be the first to admit my art making has kinda gone downhill but theres only so much time learning/doing code projects. Though definitely gonna try and revamp the ol art side of the portfolio soon. Keep learning and sharing with others what I learn though so thats a plus :)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Took me about 4 months to settle on an internship in middleware, did that for a year and a half before getting into a studio.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    2-3 years till I was making games, was doing marketing and web design before that, although not directly game related it definitely gave me a good foundation in colour and design theory.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Since people aren't actually reading the content of the post:

It took me a little under three years of working in the industry until I found a job that I feel has helped me grow as an artist. My first couple of jobs were not very good experiences and they only hurt me as far as progression and portfolio are concerned.

I'm now working full time freelance and the jobs I've taken have been really great learning experiences.

That said, I'd like to eventually get back to working in an office with other people again. I feel like there's a lot I can learn from other people that I'd never get from working at home. One thing's for sure, though; I'm going to be a lot more specific about what I'm looking for when I finally start trying to find a different job.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    For me, being forced to do art every day has definitely helped me grow and become more efficient with my art creation. Also, getting direct feedback from people, even people who don't understand art, has helped me 1: Receive and handle critique, and 2: adjust my work to be more appealing to the general public.

It's also helped me get more confident. Although at first it has the opposite effect. "Why am I here? I suck. My work shouldn't be in a game that's going to get published, it doesn't live up to peoples' expectations." bla bla bla. But that, thank god, because it can only lead to bad places with nervous breakdowns and lots of drinking, faded after a few months.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Really depends on how bad you want it, I have seen great artists go a year + after school and barely scrap up a decent job. Decent = a start up, just making it by. I have also seen artists that I thought were just middle of the line snag some awesome gigs that brought them to just ridiculous levels of awesome. Those middle of the line artists though were normally the ones that wanted it most and had come from nothing in terms of raw natural talent in art or just any prior skillset before going to art school/starting their true art journey.

For me, I learned to 3D model and poured over polycount and other tuts and stuff in High School, got a job within 6 months after high school for a local mobile studio. Learned a shit load, included a ton of tech, scripting, rigging, and built my 3D production art skills. Company disbanded after some management disagreements, I left. After 9 months of on and off freelance work, now working for High Moon Studios down here in Carlsbad, CA. Overwhelmed with the awesome opportunity so far. Great team and I am learning so much daily.

TL;DR, took about 6 months to land a 3D generalist job at a mobile studio where I grew tenfold as an artist/developer. Just under 3yrs or so later, landed my current AAA job where I feel am exposed to some of the best in the industry, learning insane amounts daily.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not quite following your question. Wouldn't just about any first industry gig that you land help you grow as an artist?

I mean...my first art gig was at a military sim company. But I still learned a ton even from that. Even just in terms of how to work with deadlines, how to use new software that I've never used before, how to work with a team.

I fail to see how a first industry gig wouldn't teach help you grow in some way.

Perhaps I'm missing the point of the question...
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    gsokol wrote: »
    Not quite following your question. Wouldn't just about any first industry gig that you land help you grow as an artist?

I mean...my first art gig was at a military sim company. But I still learned a ton even from that. Even just in terms of how to work with deadlines, how to use new software that I've never used before, how to work with a team.

I fail to see how a first industry gig wouldn't teach help you grow in some way.

Perhaps I'm missing the point of the question...

Your first industry job apparently didn't have you working with outdated hardware/software and people who are not just resistant to, but actively hostile to the idea of change. It's very hard to stay relevant in situations where basically anything you make at work is worse than most of the stuff that you had in your portfolio at the time you were hired.

Granted, this isn't necessarily everyone's experience with the game industry. I know people who have only worked at places that everyone considers awesome and the only reason they left those places is that the company closed down.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Since people aren't actually reading the content of the post

I read the post but it didn't make a lot of sense to me. I just don't know anyone who got stuck in a job where they didn't grow. Sure, some people may not notice that they're growing, but others see that they are.

I believe you can take something away from pretty much every job - either as professional or as artist. At worst, you learn how to not do it, and how you can do better. Which practices work and which don't.

Also, don't focus so much on the "as an artist" aspect. As someone who hires people I also like people to grow as professionals, not just as artists. Make sure you also grow as professional! One without the other will not lead to success.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Kwramm wrote: »
    I read the post but it didn't make a lot of sense to me. I just don't know anyone who got stuck in a job where they didn't grow. Sure, some people may not notice that they're growing, but others see that they are.

I believe you can take something away from pretty much every job - either as professional or as artist. At worst, you learn how to not do it, and how you can do better. Which practices work and which don't.

Also, don't focus so much on the "as an artist" aspect. As someone who hires people I also like people to grow as professionals, not just as artists. Make sure you also grow as professional! One without the other will not lead to success.

I completely agree with Kwramm. One thing I find that many people miss is that much growth can be gained from failure. A lot of it is a matter of perspective as well and maintaining a certain level of enthusiasm even when the project isn't going as desired.

My first gig taught me to respect my time and work. While I didn't specifically make artistic gains, it taught me some very important life lessons that greatly influence my art and the people I work with.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    What if all you care about is hand painted texturing, but get stuck for years working at game studios that requires you to use photos for more realistic graphics.

Or want to make characters and get stuck doing environments for years.
    Or you want to make guns and get stuck working QA, because you ain't good enough to get a job as an artist.

It's not about if you are leaning something. It's about if you've been able to learn something relevant to your needs or goals.

nobody i know was born with the job they wanted. everyone had to learn how to do it while doing other things they didn't want to do as much. motivation comes from inside
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    What if all you care about is hand painted texturing, but get stuck for years working at game studios that requires you to use photos for more realistic graphics.

If that's all you care about then your goal is too narrow.
    Your ultimate goal should be to grow as game art professional, which covers many aspects. Art is the most important one, but it's just one of them.
    Or want to make characters and get stuck doing environments for years.
    Or you want to make guns and get stuck working QA, because you ain't good enough to get a job as an artist.

I know very few people who're stuck for years at the same job in the games industry. But even QA can teach you things you can use as artist.

You know that games are a software product, right? And as such they are highly technical. Art QA - DURING production - is one of the most important issues to get a production pipeline flowing and efficient. Software QA is a hugely important topic in software production. And art is an input for the software product your company makes!

So anyone who cares and knows about QA, about its workflows and importance to production, especially art production, has important knowledge many artists lack - or do not even think about!

So yes, even in QA there's a take-away. It won't teach you to be better at hand painted texture. No. But it teaches you something about your work and the work of you studio, because you just do not work in isolation on a games project.
    It's not about if you are leaning something. It's about if you've been able to learn something relevant to your needs or goals. A boxer won't improve by fighting crappy opponents for 10 years, that's just a waste of time.

See above. See the big picture. Understand how it's not just personal art skills to focus on, but also how you create art. Which best practices and workflows you employ while creating art, and how it fits into the bigger environment - your team, your department, your project.

Ultimately people with great art skills get hired. But there are many. People with great art skills and a deeper understanding and care for the production as a whole, these are rare. So learn, learn, learn, leave your comfort zone and pick up every bit of knowledge you're exposed to while making art and games!