Home Technical Talk

Resetting startup.max

Hey PC.

I tried editing my maxstartup file to get a better grid working for me and i think i did something wrong.
Now my viewport clipping is really bad, even when i drag the sliders to max it still clips really early on.

Here is an image of the problem.
CwxXREo.png

Now my first question is, is there any way to reset the startup file to its initial settings? And how can i configure max to work with metrics without running into this problem again (ill be working with buildings and real life measurements would be really handy).

Thank you.

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't tried this, but did you try deleting maxstart.max? Or whatever it's called?
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I haven't tried this, but did you try deleting maxstart.max? Or whatever it's called?

So max creates a new one when starting?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    MaxStart.max is a file that you can create yourself, with anything you want in it. You place it in the appropriate Scene folder (according to how you set it up in the User Paths preferences) and from there on, every time Max starts it will load the contents of that scene. By default there is none.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    MaxStart.max is a file that you can create yourself, with anything you want in it. You place it in the appropriate Scene folder (according to how you set it up in the User Paths preferences) and from there on, every time Max starts it will load the contents of that scene. By default there is none.

Ah thank you. That sorted out my first problem.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Regarding units, there are two settings you can tweak : the displayed units, and the internal units.

Whatever you set as displayed units will then show up everywhere in the UI where you can type-in dimensions. However this is just a handy conversion : with display units set to, say, centimeters, Max can still operate in inches internally. Also internal and display units settings can vary widely depending on the kind of project you are working on. One thing to remember (if I am not mistaken ...) is that OBJ has no notion of real world measurements, as it only stores virtual/generic units.

I would think that tinkering with the Internal units can be a bit dangerous at times, but probably necessary.

To get to the units settings : Customize > Units setup. At least in Max2010 - not sure about the newer releases :)
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior Thats exactly what i did last time. And it resulted in my grid beeing all weird and my clipping became an issue. Im using 2012 so i dont think it should be any different from 2010.