Home Technical Talk

Various UV's how to not make them not overlap? Help.

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Kimu polycounter lvl 5
So this may be a simple thing but I'm still getting trouble. I'm making various grass in maya with planes.

I already added the texture and I duplicated the same grass plane. Problem is If I were to combine that. The UV of the grass plane would overlap all the other grass plane UV's and If I organize the planes so they don't overlap the texture, the texture then goes off.

Is there a way so I don't have to resize the texture in photoshop and add to all the plane UV's. I know that overlapping causes trouble exporting to Unreal Engine and other ones making the shadow on it off and stuff...

But anyways is there a way for the UV's not to overlap and not fix the texture in photoshop?

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Yes.

Offset the overlapped islands by 1 in either U or V. When your engine is set to repeat the texture beyond the 0,0 to 1,1 uv bounds, the texture will be repeated — but what's outside those bounds won't be taken into account for baking etc. Not too sure about UE and shadows but that's how you share the same texture info across multiple islands.

To be clear, only one of the grass blades will need to be in the UV bounds, and the rest can be overlapped outside the uv bounds.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not sure I entirely understand you,

but you could always just make a second UV channel for the shadow maps, which is typically how the process goes.

IE your UVs can overlap in the first UV which is what your material/color map will be using, and the second channel would be used for shadowmaps (which should be the one where no overlapping occurs)

Just make sure to select the correct UV channel for your shadow maps in the unreal editor.