Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Trying to improve my 2d art

SmilingMountain
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
SmilingMountain polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys, I seem to have got really stuck lately with my 2d art and was hoping to get some crits to help me improve. At the moment I am trying to improve my portraits. Looking for crits on pretty much anything, anatomy, composition value etc. Here are a few recent pieces of work:
asianface_imagination2_zpseb2d5682.jpgdelastrange2_zps459d6bbc.jpg

painttectest_zpsc6f064da.jpg

dwarf_zps82071c79.jpg
Thanks!

Replies

• Sali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there!

I`m not an expert in anatomy or proper rendering, but since there is no response, here are my thoughts. I think you`re relying a lot on your memory and visual library - i would recommend to do more fundamental stuff (like basic shapes, perspectice, values and such) and then do more life studies. Even if you`re making stylized art, you just can`t break certain rules.

And here are a few overpaints, to show most obvious problems:

kNSpIMn.jpg
    4fmXg9d.jpg

Good luck!
  • SmilingMountain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah thanks!

Those are some really awesome paintovers! Yeah I definitely need to draw more from life, and improve my fundamentals. Looks like I've got a lot of work to do. :)
  • Sali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Np, man!
    I would also recommend to start from simple studies (rendering properly the simple geometric shapes, paying attention to perspective, structure and value changes under certain lighting conditions) and slowly move towards drawing objects as a combination of those simple geometric shapes. Cause right now you're trying to do everything at once, which also can be valid way of learning, but breaking it into a few simple tasks would make it easier to learn, understand and remember, i believe.

Cheers!

And btw, also ask for feedback here - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140915&page=5
    People there dropping some very usefull knowledge!
  • SmilingMountain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going back to basics by studying some facial anatomy and lighting simple forms:

eyes_zps08663ab6.jpg
  • SmilingMountain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More facial features, going to study the face as a whole next. Crits always appreciated.

nose_studies_zps1e48bc38.jpg

mouth_studies_zpsbf4405c3.jpg