Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Jewski-bot

jewski-bot
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
Hello polycounters! This will be my first entry into my own sketchbook. Though I'm primarily interested in 3D modeling, particularly of the high-res hard-surface variety, I'm hoping to improve my basic concept art skills into something a bit more refined, since I concede it's a weak point of mine.

My aim to try and post something at least once a week and hopefully show signs of improvement as time progresses. One of the biggest things I would like to hone is efficient time management. It took approx. an hour of fidgeting around for each figure below and to me, that's way too much time to invest in a silhouette sketch.

I am fine with any honest and well-articulated criticisms and would encourage anyone looking at my sketchbook entries to do so, should they think something warrants a comment.

Without further ado, my first entry:

As for the piece itself, I'm a huge Transformers fan and so this piece is dedicated to the Leader of the Decepticons himself, the Mighty Megatron. I created each figure attempting to use the silhouette creation method of painting black on gray and then gradually erasing parts to carve out detail.

Software used is Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 with the original Intuos Wacom tablet.

I pretty much used a "round point stiff" in the paint brush menu for both the brush and eraser. I'm not really sure if it's the best brush for the job, so I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a better method or technique.

DailySketch11052014.jpg

Replies