Home General Discussion

Whats the value of being certified?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
I noticed that you can get certifications on your knowledge of 3DS Max, Photoshop, and other programs.

I imagine this is a great thing to tout on your resume if you have it? Or is it something often ignored?

Replies

• soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    your portfolio will speak more about your skill than a certificate. I would not worry too much about being cert, focus on a strong portfolio instead.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not something we'd ever care about. It's about the art in your portfolio.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    It might help you get a job teaching. Not particularly a valuable thing for someone looking for an art job though.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I see, good to know then!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Not sure about the Scrum certs - I heard they're really easy and not really worth the money, especially since you have to renew them.
    A PMP might be a much better investment for a producer, but this already may be a bit overkill for some producer roles. PMP is tough, but it carries quite some weight in the project manager crowd, maybe even more than a degree.

MBA? Not sure - maybe for an exec producer but learning how to run a company is different from project management, which is mainly what the producer role translates to - i.e. planning/tracking tasks, risk management, stakeholder management, budgeting, etc. MBA should be more like corporate leadership, accounting, finance, strategic planning, hiring and HR strategies, etc.

Certs for art - if you get something like rigging dojo or animation mentor, then I'd be impressed. Otherwise - meh. Or take some studio classes with a traditional artist if you're a modeler, or take life drawing classes, that'd be impressive.

MS office certs? lol. maybe if you're a secretary and have to set up some automated letter mailing system or if you're some financial whiz kid that does statistics and monte carlo simulations in Excel...

For IT there's shitloads of certs, and a whole industry around them though. e.g. Oracle, MS, Cisco, etc. I hope it never comes to that for 3D art.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Art orientated certificates and awards are pretty irrelevant compared to a folio, but a degree etc (doesn't have to be game related) will make it easier to move abroad, especially if your not in the EU.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Shiniku wrote: »
    It might help you get a job teaching.
    This was my impression.