Home General Discussion

Anyone else still use MS Paint?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
I still use photoshop, but I also like sketching in Paint.

I'm aware how other digital art programs are superior to it, but I like Paint boots instantly.

I also like using the 1 pixel pencil and its "natural aliasing" it produces. Having no layers also challenges me to be more resourceful.

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Why would I? Photoshop is an excellent piece of software, Paint is obsolete.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    "Still"? I don't think anyone ever used Paint. Not for anything professional.
    I'm curious how you're even doing it.
    I mean, if you're doing 2D retro pixel art I can see how it might be possible to use it, but does it even support transparency?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    "Still"? I don't think anyone ever used Paint. Not for anything professional.
    I'm curious how you're even doing it.
    I mean, if you're doing 2D retro pixel art I can see how it might be possible to use it, but does it even support transparency?

I use it for sketching. I just start up the program, select the pencil tool and draw. Paint is compatible with Cintiq so I use a stylus also.

That's just a sketch though. Painting/texturing is done in Photoshop but I don't like to draw in that program. I scan in a drawing done by hand and work on top of that.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    MSPaint?? Man I don't even draw on paper anymore, much less MSPaint. Photoshop is king. Long live Photoshop!
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Also, another reason I use Paint, is it's fast to create references or make simple edits.

For example, here's a tank I want to draw. I can quickly create proportions and perspective guides using the line tool in Paint.

iGtKVpjfn8xnR.png
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    No offense but I think you should probably spend some time learning photoshop before you go preaching the glory of MSPaint...

Photoshop has a line tool, you can also just paint straight lines with any regular brush by clicking anywhere on the canvas then shift clicking somewhere else.
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    Everything you mentioned can be done in Photoshop if used correctly... why purchase/subscribe Photoshop and then not use it?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    No offense but I think you should probably spend some time learning photoshop before you go preaching the glory of MSPaint...

Photoshop has a line tool, you can also just paint straight lines with any regular brush by clicking anywhere on the canvas then shift clicking somewhere else.

I never said Photoshop can't do these things. I even said in the OP they're all superior.

The purpose of the thread was wondering if anyone still used Paint for anything. Just because something is outdated doesn't mean it can't be useful. I still have old game consoles I play for example.
    MephistonX wrote: »
    Everything you mentioned can be done in Photoshop if used correctly... why purchase/subscribe Photoshop and then not use it?
    I mentioned I still use Photoshop. Just not for drawing.

I also mentioned it's quicker. Photoshop takes time to boot. If Paint can do something I want faster, I use that instead.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    can you show some of your sketches? Im interested to see how they turned out
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    GIMP or kirita are both free and offer tons of functionality over paint...

Why would anyone use it these days?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Youngy798 wrote: »
    can you show some of your sketches? Im interested to see how they turned out

Some of them I don't want to show because I only spend 2 minutes on them. They were never created to be shown in a portfolio.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    JordanN wrote: »
    .I also mentioned it's quicker. Photoshop takes time to boot. If Paint can do something I want faster, I use that instead.
    Well... can't say I have this problem. I have photoshop installed to an SSD, the difference in boot times is like 3-4 seconds and I've never been in that big of a hurry to draw something.

Even before I had an SSD I had no problem waiting the 30+ seconds for it to launch. Dunno what you're making in MSPaint but I guess you're in a hurry.

Seems odd that you would put such a huge emphasis on your applications launch speed yet you don't have any problems wasting time drawing on paper then scanning your drawings in to work on in photoshop...
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    No. It's doing you more harm than good! When you're going to put some drawings in your portfolio are you going to write "made with MSPaint"? What will employers think of this?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    huffer wrote: »
    No. It's doing you more harm than good! When you're going to put some drawings in your portfolio are you going to write "made with MSPaint"? What will employers think of this?
    I agree with this.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    It seems like your only reason for using Paint is because of Photoshop's boot time. If you are going to spend the time to get better at drawing, you might as well also spend that time getting more familiar with industry standard tools. I can't possibly imagine your paint sketches look presentable to employers (but I have somehow seen some decent look paint sketches before).

I don't know how long it takes for Photoshop to boot for you, but it takes around 11 seconds without an SSD for me. Surely that isn't a significant amount of time, I can't even walk to my kitchen and grab a glass of water in 11 seconds!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I still think someone should make an environment where they paint the textures with watercolors and watercolor paper and scan in the paintings. It sounds like a real pain but I bet it would look really cool.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I use it for clipboard stuff
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    NegevPro wrote: »
    It seems like your only reason for using Paint is because of Photoshop's boot time. If you are going to spend the time to get better at drawing, you might as well also spend that time getting more familiar with industry standard tools. I can't possibly imagine your paint sketches look presentable to employers (but I have somehow seen some decent look paint sketches before).

I don't know how long it takes for Photoshop to boot for you, but it takes around 11 seconds without an SSD for me. Surely that isn't a significant amount of time, I can't even walk to my kitchen and grab a glass of water in 11 seconds!

I've realized the thread is a mistake and getting it deleted instead. But before it does, I spend most of my time in Photoshop. Drawing is just the hobby part for me.
    I still think someone should make an environment where they paint the textures with watercolors and watercolor paper and scan in the paintings. It sounds like a real pain but I bet it would look really cool.
    I've had a game idea where I would want everything to resemble crayon art. From the shaders to the textures being drawn with actual crayon as well.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    blazed wrote: »
    When you are so Pro that you don't need anything but MS paint.

PS, Quixel, Substance, Mari, all for noobs that need the features.

Take it 1 step further and don't use any software just paint on paper and scan it in :)
    You're a filthy casual, that's what I say. How are you going to get that paper? Just buy it? What would companies think if they saw you buy paper and paint on it with 0 effort? Do you honestly think EA or Eidos would want to be associated with likes of you?!

And don't even get me started the tools you will use, like pencils, I bet you would buy those as well. Way to fuel the natural resource communistic depleting regime.

A real artist would create his tools from scratch, and environmentally conscious enough to make them from recycled material. Do that, then you may have the privilege of using a scanner.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    blazed wrote: »
    But master how do I make paper without cutting down a tree?
    You collects seeds from the forest, grow them, cut them down, have them tagged, sell them off, follow the roots (pun intended) and once thrown out by the dark, bleak, modern society of the Western world, pick them all up, recycle and start from there.

Only by seeing your own children die before you eyes, and have forged their bones into your weapons of literature, can you call yourself a true brush-warrior.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    If I want to sketch something real quick without boot times I use a pencil and paper. My photoshop boots up almost instantly anyway, and beyond that, I almost never close it.

I use MS paint if I'm intentionally trying to make something look shitty.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Just for the record, I wasn't trying to be insulting or anything, it just seems like you use MSPaint out of inertia more than anything and you're trying to justify it like you're really making a practical choice because it boots several seconds faster...

And since no one said they still used MSPaint. I'll mention that my friend (who is a GLAMOROUS painter) still uses it to paint doodles and other nonsense.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shutdown at OPs request.
This discussion has been closed.