Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Game prototype: 'Detached'

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
DETACHED is a game prototype I have worked on during my freetime. 'Detached' is a full game idea, where you play a third person action game. The basic idea is that you play a soul-like entity that is able to detach and fly from robot to robot in the level to switch different types of gameplay. There are elements of racing and combat and a lot of platforming.

In this visual proof of concept rendered in Unreal Engine 4 I have only focused on posing the content that I made before to inspire people with what the game would look like if it was made.

It's also my try on experimenting with stylized environments. And colour!

The actual game prototype was made using the Grit Engine which is an open source PBR ready engine out there. Definitely worth a look if you're interested in open source software. It's only because UE4 would make it more portfolio ready that I took it there, that and the ease to put something together real quick!

TLDR; Screenshots:

detached_final_shots_001.jpg

detached_final_shots_002.jpg

detached_final_shots_003.jpg

This is pretty much my final piece this time, anymore work will likely be on the game if I get back to it after this.

So the look is mainly achieved with low resolution textures, using nearest filtering and no mipmaps. The style is low poly but with geometry where it's sometimes needed to make the silhouette work.

I didn't want to go all out low poly work, nor too much detail, it takes a long enough time to UV map the meshes as it is already.

detached_final_shots_004.jpg
My quick and dirty textures, feels like revealing my intimacy :) Most of the props belong in that very tiny corner bottom right, building ones could potentially be shrinked to 256 if needed for the project.

Thank you for reading/watching :)

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    This may be only my feeling but the circle disks on those glass tubes are a little detached from the rest of the environment quality. Especially on first image it's very visible. Everything else feels like it have higher LOD than them. Maybe you could add one more subdivision level to make them more round.

Looking at it longer I also feel that those plants, especially the ones on walls, doesn't fit to well there too.

But I didn't slept last night at all so this may be a problem why I feel like this :)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Very pretty, I only wish the pixel style was more obvious in the 3d meshes too.

another dumb idea: cant you lower resolusion of the shadows until that gets pixeleted to? could be a kind of cool effect.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Looks niiice and fresh :D Remind me a little of the 1st Ratchet and clank city :D
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo: Thanks :)
    mantragora: That's very good criticism there, thank you. You're not the first to point out the foliage texel ratio, I did rework it this morning and doubled the size now o an astonishing 32x32 pixels texture :P I believe it works better among the rest. I did put more segments on the tubes too.

lotet: it looks sharper in the grit engine, UE4 displays very smooth images even without filtering. If I removed the AA it then becomes waay to noisy. The shadows trick can be done in Grit, but I don't think I can easily in Unreal since it smooth out the shadows a lot, even low res.

As those images are direct link they got updated in the first post based on what you guys said :)
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah! Overall it looks nice. Like the PSX/PS2-era kind of thinking, where not so serious games still had believable environments :) I like that combination of colorful SF city and PBR. Not only the idea but the sunny colours you chose here.

I'd think you should separate 'filling' space from accents. Now it's like every piece of screen tries catch viewer's attention. Nothing here is the background.

Tubes are a cool feature of this environment, kind of glue it all together. But why do they have rings inside them? that block the flow of whatever is transported through them? :P

BTW- project name: https://www.facebook.com/DetachedGame?fref=photo&sk=photos
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    This.
    I love this style, great execution. Would love to see a quick breakdown how you go about making the modular pieces and how your applying your mix-maps you posted.
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Excellent style!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi: Thanks, we clearly lack games that look like this out there. Sunset Overdrive is like a nice come back of that kind of games. There's indeed a lot going on in the picture, that's something I could have improved upon, I could have helped it with some DOF but I'm not a fan of blurring my background too much. More fog maybe?

The tubes are part of a futurama-like transportation network, the glowing disks between pieces are teleportation fields alike kind of thing!

Ootrick: Thanks, here's a quick breakdown put together a minute ago, it's one of the latest items I have textured, the textures were never intended for that but it worked nicely in the end. ;-)

detached_final_shots_005.jpg

JamesTKirk: thanx :)
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Love the colors! I'm not 100% sure on the pixelated style though. I know what you are going for but it feels like there's a big disparity between the pixelated and non pixelated stuff. The cloud, fog and trees are on the extreme (minecraft) side of things whilst your buildings and vehicles are really clean and feature a LOT of diagonals. Honestly if you didn't tell me that's what you are going for, I wouldn't know... and admittedly I did think your vegetation was simply poorly done/out of place rather than a stylistic choice when I first saw it. The fog and the sky I'm actually OK with but the vegetation feels just a little too retro/low res. Everything else feels just right though.

I'm getting some strong Scrapland vibes from the game idea, which is awesome. Would love to see this come to life!
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    ParoXum wrote: »
    Avvi: Thanks, we clearly lack games that look like this out there. Sunset Overdrive is like a nice come back of that kind of games. There's indeed a lot going on in the picture, that's something I could have improved upon, I could have helped it with some DOF but I'm not a fan of blurring my background too much. More fog maybe?

The tubes are part of a futurama-like transportation network, the glowing disks between pieces are teleportation fields alike kind of thing!

Ootrick: Thanks, here's a quick breakdown put together a minute ago, it's one of the latest items I have textured, the textures were never intended for that but it worked nicely in the end. ;-)

detached_final_shots_005.jpg

JamesTKirk: thanx :)

Aha! Love how you bridge the seems with the simple highlights, great stuff I love the style.

Thank you for the texture breakdown too! If you were to add more pixilated elements as mentioned above like fog and foliage it would sell your idea better.
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Avvi: Thanks, we clearly lack games that look like this out there. Sunset Overdrive is like a nice come back of that kind of games.

Hah, Sunset Overdrive. I've seen so many good art being created for it, from the people I watch on facebook and on game websites also. It's really brave, I think.
    (I see white glasses for example, completely opaque, and I'm like - "oh, it so unrealistic" - but yet I liked Hotline Miami, right? :D so it's breaking the rules, definitely, like a good art piece would do. Sadly it's an X1 exclusive, which I don't own.)
    There's indeed a lot going on in the picture, that's something I could have improved upon, I could have helped it with some DOF but I'm not a fan of blurring my background too much. More fog maybe?

I was thinking more about the negative space between the details. To have some neutral space from which details can pop up. Also it should help with defining of edges vs walls:
    s0d1RDH.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi: I believe there is some negative space in my picture (the first one the least though as it's an overview). You'll see it if you desaturate the picture, a lot of the impression of noise is by the colors themselves I think. It is definitely dense but I'd argue that it is a personal choice on this one. I want the picture too look busy in this case, hoping it's at the limit of busy/readable to represent some feeling of action or living world :)

Now maybe I have overdone it, that's a possiblity! That's very good feedback regardless :-)
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    Incredible work :D
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    OK, I see your point :) I shouldn't judge without seeing it in action
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Subscribed, this looks fantastic:>
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I have to agree with Avvi, I think you are getting a little chaotic in the composition. Your scene reminds me a bit of Sunset Overdrive which is an extremely dense and visual chaotic game. Side by side you can easily tell the difference of how they created a balanced composition but still have that dense chaos represented.
    Sunset_Overdrive_forall_SunsetCity.jpg
    Notice the depth with a clear foreground, middle ground, and background. Your background buildings and sky in that first shot is only like 5-10% of the image. The Sunset screen does a really good job framing the big blowup guy and the main character. The chaos and visual noise is focused in the center of the screen, while those two characters sit outside a bit. You could try something like that with some of your vehicles, to break it up a bit.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Yep, with new tubes and foliage it's better.