Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1938 Watling Slot Machine

monkeymintaka
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
monkeymintaka polycounter lvl 7
Hi Polycounters:)
I have been learning 3DS Max over the last few months and wanted to do an asset that I could put some high-low poly, Max/zbrush action into practice, as well as hopefully some texturing and rendering in Marmoset.

I really wanted to do some cool vintage/retro/antique-y model, and have seen a lot of awesome vending machines/jukebox models that I didn't want to copy. So I found this cool little slot machine, that I thought would be good to practice both Turbosmooth modelling in Max, and sculpting in Zbrush, and which also has a wide selection of materials.

watling_01_ref.jpg

This is what I have so far in Max: (sorry for small images, I will render larger images next time)

FS_wire_01.JPG

Rz87bhgU72PPD2txdbo8XOG8rBtGL1dXjdt8m3JtMpk=w838-h555-no

And a couple of quick renders with turbosmooth

FS_turbo_01.jpg

J1MCmyKlyKSFssyNJyqBgQTMAtRXrP_PNmfa1ECOJP8=w700-h555-no

This is the basic body, I still need to do the coin placements and the eagle base in Max before I take each piece into Zbrush to sculpt the details.

I have a few problems with the turbosmoothed mesh at the moment though. I am not sure whether to spend a couple more hours in Max to try and fix these, or if it would be faster in Zbrush. I'm not exactly a Zbrush pro though.....

FS_fix_01.JPG

GVzq-SeikjHKEf67Q8YoExgNJ1Uxj7mKT7w05_byFb8=w640-h480-no

The problems are all on that top fruit-roll-coin-entering part (technical name). It was the most difficult to model, and as it was on a slant, it was a major pain keeping all the faces planar to each other. So that and the jointed areas are the biggest issues.
Next:
Place Coins
Eagle Base Mesh
Fix Issues

Thanks for taking the time to look, C&C very welcome!