Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted Character - Assignment

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jakob Gavelli interpolator
Hey guys.

I'm an environment guy. But I've got this character assignment so.. yeah. I wasn't thinking of going that close to the concept. But it feels as if I should just go 100% and stop making excuses.

I've got until friday to call it done. I've only very quickly blocked out the colors and am now panic tweaking the model. There's alot of problems. I can't for the life of me figure out the proportions and the head/hair is a total mess.

I'd love some paintovers or feedback on where to take it. I'm at a bit of a loss.

Don't Laugh.

2SIRKVm.jpg

Replies

• Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, guys. I would really love some thoughts ^^ What's bothering me the most are the proportions. He's supposed to look kind of like a child. But I just don't see it.

I'm trying 3dcoat for the first time and I'm actually quite enjoying it. Here are some grabs from 3DCoat. ( Can't get alphas to work though. ) He's currently sitting at 1.8k polys. He's going to be animated so I'll have to add some loops to the arms for deformation, but I'd like to keep him under 2k.

Any feedback is appreciated!

pDjASR0.jpg
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    put more color variations + more defined light source
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Your shading needs work.
    Also the character is missing some things, on the head, arm , satchel, and the knee part of his pants Textures.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty cool so far. I recently finished another of this artists concepts. It was the character above the one on the concept you're using.

I think for the proportions he is looking a tad too tall. But it looks like it'll come together the more you paint and once you get the rest of the props int here.

here's how my one turned out:

http://i.imgur.com/57GDXwI.png
  • air
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    air
    Hi Jakob. I just saw that the second one was different so ignore what I said before :). Maybe the scarf could be thinner around the neck.
    IMG:
    lBZRnOs.jpg
  • Kdawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
    This is awesome! I love hand painted stuff. Aside from what others have said, I think his eyes should be slightly bigger to match the concept, that might help him look more childlike.

Who is the artist of the original concept?
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I'd also say that the eyes are currently to small. Beside that for getting a more child like look push down the eyes and nose a little.

Like this:
    UOfx5Ij.jpg
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, you guys rock! I'm kind of in the middle of painting so it's by no means finished. There's alot of details on this guy! I agree that he will need alot more contrast and stronger light source.

Those pictures were really helpful. Things are starting to fall into place, I think.

9p5eqt2.jpg