Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old tree trunk

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Avvi polycounter lvl 3
Old tree trunk.

Tools: UE4, ZBrush, Photoshop, Substance Painter, Blender, xNormal, NDO.

Big thanks to people that discussed in the WiP thread + Lestat from Max3D and friends Mikolaj, Bartek, Alex. Your advice was necessary for me to get PBR concepts right. After the difficult phase of texturing the trunk, it was SO MUCH easier for me to add new elements!

TreeB-A.png

TreeB-B.png

TreeB-tex.jpg

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    There's no need to start a new thread for your finished assets, just post em in your main thread.

I think it would be pretty hard to justify using a completely new set of textures for the mossy version of this asset when you could achieve the same effect with some much lower res tiling moss textures and vertex painting.

The bark looks a lot more glossy than I would expect, and reminds me of clay in both reflectance and in how the bark is cracked. You referenced this image for bark, and if you compare the reference to your asset, the overall forms of the bark are much different. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Pine_bark_tecpan_guatemala.JPG

The presentation is pretty well done, but maybe you could push the pedestal of forest floor to be a bit more natural? Have it be more of a mound than a disk.
  • mbischof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the first two presentation sheets look sick
  • Avvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    That are all good points, Lucas.

It was a bad thing that I had too many references. The main shape was to be pine, but I couldn't find good ref for moss, etc. Next time I will go to forest and take photos. Which I did before making grass.

I should also think about efficiency - both development time and performance, as you said with the moss. Now it was free form, just testing every method I wanted to try. Which is what I like about home projects. I could do it without shortcuts, which provided me with better ideas for shortcuts in return.

Thanks to you both.
  • Zinco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zinco polycounter lvl 3
    This is so beautiful!! Really nice work :D