Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

critique on my hand painted bark texture

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
tomenjerry polycounter lvl 6
Hey,

I'm new to polycount, so tell me if I'm putting this thread in the wrong place. I love handpainted textures (especially the world of warcraft style). I'm strying to get the right look for a long time. I just wondered what some of you thought about the texture, but especially what you don't like, so I can improve.

thanks in advance,
Tim

texture

Replies

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Tim, you're posting in the right place. I'd recommend that you edit your post though, so the image is embedded in your post. It'll let people easily see it, which will help them in posting critiques quickly. use blahblah" without the quotes to do that.

If you're worried about bandwidth you can always make a free account/upload it to something like imgur.com to share.
    The texture itself is looking pretty snazzy to me so far. I'd say keep going on pushing those lines into shapes, and maybe play around with introducing a little more color variation in it (more types of browns/reds/yellows/etc) I enjoy the rather organic warping going on in the bark which is a bit different than what most people make, so nice job on that!

Just keep in mind you'll technically have to make this a seamless tiling texture in the end, by either using the offset filter in photoshop and painting out the seams, using paint wrap in something like corel painter, or painting the seams away in 3D in an application like mudbox.

All 3 different ways are pretty easy to do, and it helps to have something like a box model or cylinder/etc ready with UVs tiling as you paint just so you can see how well your texture is tiling and if certain features might prove too be too distracting or repetitive.

That said, keep it up! I can't wait to see more :)
  • tomenjerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, Yes I'm going to make it seamless very shorty, just so that I don't need to do a whole lot of correction work after finishing the entire texture, I don't know about some parts of the texture though, I'll make some revisions, saving each one in a seperate file. Thanks again for commenting.

Tim
  • tomenjerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I improved the texture. I added lots of colours (hopefully it's not too much).

GurDMCN.png