Portfolio critique.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
ESFGames polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone!

I'm soon going to start applying for a junior environment modeler position at a few companies and i was wondering what you think of my portfolio?

If you have any tips then i would like to know that.

Portfolio: http://www.squadunit.com/

-Emiel Sleegers.

Replies

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike polycounter lvl 5
    That looks solid for a junior position id say

But theres a lot of room for improvement of course

First thing I noticed is your name on the top left, why use the Serif font, you use such a thing nowhere else, also its smaller than your navigation.

The slideshow on top is confusing, i tried clicking it, but it dosnt link to things. You need a slideshow indicator, (like 5 points on bottom of the pic that switch, you know - if you cannot make it, fake it)

Why are in your cover pictures the names included even if theyre written below in a nicer more consistent fashion ?

That grey background is a turn off, but aalright

Ok for the Lab environment, you have this super strong yellow light. The stereotypical lab or sterile environment is having white lights with a very slight blue tone, giving it a cold feel, you should try emulating that, this is very important for that sterile feel, and it looks very strange and artificial currently, definitely take the time for this

The gold on top of the cathedral is too yellowish, it should have a slightly more red tone, it looks out of place. If its intended to be copper then even more red of course.
    Take the opportunity to present it on a nicer background, this is really a turn off.

For the atrium, well it is obvious that it is more dated, Id cut the last 2 screenshots as they show the weak wall textures more obviously. On the first pic, the windows in the middle and the connection between the wall and the roof is very weak and stands out. Did you use cubemaps for the windows there ? Also color grading through LUTs could make the piece a lot better I think

Good old days has to go in its whole. Keep the G36 tho, the heightmaps are fine too however.
    Those city assets are pretty good, why dont you show them. Try using higher polycount for your future work and higher texture resolution, especially for your portfolio. You can nearly always go lower if needed and you cannot afford to give away that visual fidelity for free.
    Also it looks like you need softer highpoly edges in general, and have a double check on your bakes, something dosnt look right, very obvious with that "human canister bed thing" on your lab, on the screen where you see it from top. Check your smoothing group and polycount usage and see if you do that the right way

Else I wish you good luck then !

Edit: Just used a cooling filter in photoshop, looks perfect
    / Camera raw filter - Cooling 50
    (you can also use cooling filter under photo filter)
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    That looks solid for a junior position id say

But theres a lot of room for improvement of course

First thing I noticed is your name on the top left, why use the Serif font, you use such a thing nowhere else, also its smaller than your navigation.

The slideshow on top is confusing, i tried clicking it, but it dosnt link to things. You need a slideshow indicator, (like 5 points on bottom of the pic that switch, you know - if you cannot make it, fake it)

Why are in your cover pictures the names included even if theyre written below in a nicer more consistent fashion ?

That grey background is a turn off, but aalright

Ok for the Lab environment, you have this super strong yellow light. The stereotypical lab or sterile environment is having white lights with a very slight blue tone, giving it a cold feel, you should try emulating that, this is very important for that sterile feel, and it looks very strange and artificial currently, definitely take the time for this

The gold on top of the cathedral is too yellowish, it should have a slightly more red tone, it looks out of place. If its intended to be copper then even more red of course.
    Take the opportunity to present it on a nicer background, this is really a turn off.

For the atrium, well it is obvious that it is more dated, Id cut the last 2 screenshots as they show the weak wall textures more obviously. On the first pic, the windows in the middle and the connection between the wall and the roof is very weak and stands out. Did you use cubemaps for the windows there ? Also color grading through LUTs could make the piece a lot better I think

Good old days has to go in its whole. Keep the G36 tho, the heightmaps are fine too however.
    Those city assets are pretty good, why dont you show them. Try using higher polycount for your future work and higher texture resolution, especially for your portfolio. You can nearly always go lower if needed and you cannot afford to give away that visual fidelity for free.
    Also it looks like you need softer highpoly edges in general, and have a double check on your bakes, something dosnt look right, very obvious with that "human canister bed thing" on your lab, on the screen where you see it from top. Check your smoothing group and polycount usage and see if you do that the right way

Else I wish you good luck then !

Edit: Just used a cooling filter in photoshop, looks perfect
    / Camera raw filter - Cooling 50
    (you can also use cooling filter under photo filter)

hello.
    thank you so much for all your feedback!
    i will try to fix as much as i can but for some of the tips on the models like the orange in the science lab environment i can not change since there already used in video's and demo reels etc. but i will defently keep it in mind for next time!
  • DWalker
    As an environmental artist, you REALLY don't need to worry about videos or demo reels - at least not to present to potential employers. Your sole concern should be presenting the best static images of your work. If you're reluctant to revisit old pieces because you've moved on, that's one thing; but never think that you can't improve something because it was used in a video that you don't want to re-mix.

I'd be tempted to cut the slide show entirely. As Shrike said, it's a bit confusing - most people will assume they can click on the images - and that screen-real estate could be better used. I'd expand the thumbnails to fill the entire page - basically making each the size of the slide show. Also, include an image for all of the sections; "Good Old Days" and "Props" are currently just gray...

Keep in mind that you are going to be judged on quality, not quantity, and usually by the quality of your worst piece. Don't be afraid to cull the old stuff that doesn't show your current ability. 3-5 great pieces are better than 3-5 great pieces and 20 mediocre ones.

A minor point, but on your Berlin cathedral piece, you won "3rd" place, not "3th". (Yes, I know; English is like that - consistency is for lesser languages. :P)

On your about page, you have a few odd capitalizations - "Taught" and "Environment". When you have paragraphs that begin without indenting, include a blank line (or <br>) between paragraphs.

Your resume/CV is in an unusual format; I don't know about standards in Europe, but I've never seen a multi-column resume. I don't think people normally list subjects & pass/fails unless passing is unusual - something like the English A-levels, I suppose... also, I'm uncertain whether you mean "Dutch" where you have listed "Netherlands". "Math's" should be "Maths" (for the UK/commonwealth) or "Math" for the US; "Mathematics" works well for either. Your heading "Clerical Skills Acquired" probably doesn't mean what you think it does; in English, it pretty much implies office-related skills - i.e. typing, filing, using MS Office, etc.; maybe "Technical Skills" (without "Acquired") would be a better match.
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 10
    To add to the already good critique you've received I think you should:
    1. Add your email-address to the banner (not just an icon) and the LinkedIn link to the social media icons.
    2. Make a new item in the navigation menu for resume as it was difficult to find it.
    3. Remove the contact page as it's now redundant.
    4. Rename the home menu item to portfolio.

As to the resume itself there are a few strangely/badly worded points in there. Here's a few points that could be improved:
    A. Under the skills section you could combine many of the points as they're interconnected and or pretty much the same (e.g combine 'modeling with proper geometry', 'modeling of organic and non-organic models' and 'sculpting' into just 'Modeling and sculpting of organic and hard surface figures').
    B. I think most of the points under Key Competencies need to rewritten as they sound kind of awkward right now. For examples you could rewrite the first item to just 'Good at keeping deadlines'.
    C. I don't know if it's really essential, but your personal details section is missing your phone-number.
    D. Lastly you've also got some random capitalization going on in a few places which you should try to remove.

So there are quite a few things that could be improved with regards to the webdesign and resume but other than that I think your work looks solid (with exceptions to most of the stuff filed under 'Good Old Times' and some of the stuff under 'Props' at least). Good luck on your job hunt, man!
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    To add to the already good critique you've received I think you should:
    1. Add your email-address to the banner (not just an icon) and the LinkedIn link to the social media icons.
    2. Make a new item in the navigation menu for resume as it was difficult to find it.
    3. Remove the contact page as it's now redundant.
    4. Rename the home menu item to portfolio.

As to the resume itself there are a few strangely/badly worded points in there. Here's a few points that could be improved:
    A. Under the skills section you could combine many of the points as they're interconnected and or pretty much the same (e.g combine 'modeling with proper geometry', 'modeling of organic and non-organic models' and 'sculpting' into just 'Modeling and sculpting of organic and hard surface figures').
    B. I think most of the points under Key Competencies need to rewritten as they sound kind of awkward right now. For examples you could rewrite the first item to just 'Good at keeping deadlines'.
    C. I don't know if it's really essential, but your personal details section is missing your phone-number.
    D. Lastly you've also got some random capitalization going on in a few places which you should try to remove.

So there are quite a few things that could be improved with regards to the webdesign and resume but other than that I think your work looks solid (with exceptions to most of the stuff filed under 'Good Old Times' and some of the stuff under 'Props' at least). Good luck on your job hunt, man!

thanks for your advice man! i've already improved alot. and i'm still working to improve more!