Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Amazon Captain Ahab

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
specsowl polycounter lvl 6
Hey there polycount! I haven't posted here in eons. But, I need a new portfolio piece as I will be looking for some studio job soon and I want something that encompasses my current skills.

UPDATE

71wRtqQ.jpg
4rFFQef.jpg
m019Ssl.jpg

I'll be making a little scene of Moby Dick with a twist. Imagine Ahab got stranded in the Amazon (just pretend ok) and has to fight a giant white eel catfish. Whatever you aren't here to read, you're here for pictures. Here are my moodboards so far:

5qHs1Ie.jpg
Charlton Heston's face contorted in a mix of fear and anger ought to be perfect for our Ahab.

dZzrwaX.jpg
a small bit of what I want Ahab to look like. I don't want realistic. I want something fun and styled but not super cartoony.

Zwjqf8W.jpg
Moodboard for the monster. I think a combination of Albino Eel catfish mixed with the alien-ish whales from Dishonored is sufficiently horrifying enough. Edit: "Mody Dick"...what was I thinking

iphP3gb.jpg
Giant fish and tiny boat. Could be worse (no it couldn't)

I'm here for any opinions. Modeling will start soon!

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Those soft-brush silhouettes are killing me, man. I feel like I need to put on glasses. On top of that.. they're not even very different. I see the forearms are more inflated in some, but honestly the overall proportions seem unintentionally off as well, so I don't think your design ideas are really coming through. Even though it's 2d and solid black, you really need to convey more dimension for these to be of much use.

Not trying to be harsh or anything. Nice ref, good luck with the project.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah alright sorry. I'll see if I can't work on those a bit more
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    51PwkRN.jpg
    Ok Silhouettes are...fixed? I made them different body types and outfits. I'm leaning towards A and E because because I like the big forearms. A however is more of a traditional Ahab and E is more towards what the theme is. B just looks like Abraham Lincoln...so there's that. Have some basic sculpting on the fish, I'll be showing that soon.

Edit: No it didn't take me all day to do these crappy silhouettes. Don't worry.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I really like A. Feels more complete.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    I agree, A feels right.
  • B_Korth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B_Korth polycounter lvl 8
    I am a fan of E. I like the arms to body ratio. He just seems like more of a seaman to me.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng9UF72.jpg
    Just a little wip of the fish. Any suggestions before I get too far?

Also A does seem pretty nice. I am thinking E's arms (with sleeves) with most of classic Ahab in A.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I like the structure of the face. I think making the gills/jaw line a bit more realistic with the cut wrapping around under the chin would make him look a bit more distinctly fishy.

A dorsal fin might add a bit of extra interest to his back area and silhouette.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I like the structure of the face. I think making the gills/jaw line a bit more realistic with the cut wrapping around under the chin would make him look a bit more distinctly fishy.

A dorsal fin might add a bit of extra interest to his back area and silhouette.

Hey thanks for the critique! I added the dorsal and changed his gills and he looks a million times better. I also thinned his whiskers a bit so they weren't so thick. Still have some tweaks before I post him in the thread. In the meantime, I have a WIP of Captain Ahab's head. It's super WIP and I feel like his face might be a tad too long.

OpBnFLI.jpg
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys.Worked some more on Ahab's face today. Getting closer to what I want with him. Also he doesn't have a beard yet! Also his hair is a hot mess. I am trying to get the face right first before fiddling with how I want the hair. Also might dynamesh out a simple body soon to see how I can get him looking interesting.

81YIltT.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I don't like the teeth. They're really distracting. Looks at the structure of teeth, then possibly go back and remake those ones. They're very spaced out! Looks like Ahab needs some braces.. ;)
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls wrote: »
    I don't like the teeth. They're really distracting. Looks at the structure of teeth, then possibly go back and remake those ones. They're very spaced out! Looks like Ahab needs some braces.. ;)

But he's a sea captain!
    In all seriousness I'll give him a dental fix.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    71wRtqQ.jpg
    More work on the fish. Need to define his mouth more and redo his side I think.
    dtZhotl.jpg
    Redid the teeth. Also removed the paint for this screen, though it will be in the final
    Hd01eXg.jpg
    Blocking out the body. Ugh something about it doesn't sit right with me. I think his hips might be too high? Also the deltoids look a bit weird too.

Edit: I noticed that the hips ARE too high. I don't know how I missed that. Will be working on that.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! So this week has been a bit hectic and I havent gotten to work on Ahab much. Here's my progress nonetheless.
    4rFFQef.jpg
    Worked on his facepaint, new hat, obligatory neckerchief, and a less derp expression
    mlQZMQM.jpg
    Here he is with his blobby coat. He has no foot because I am working on it.
    m019Ssl.jpg
    Here he is without the coat. Going to get those forms right before going in and old-ifying his body with some wrinkles and sagging. Also his left side will be pretty scarred up. We're talking "'Pay It Forward' Kevin Spacey scarring" levels of scars.