Hyena Warwick - for Polycount/Riot Art Contest

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Dado Almeida polycounter lvl 12
Are you guys into this Contest?
I have tons of 'stuff' on my plate already, but I´d like to try this one. I´ll keep posting the imagery over here, so pleaaase guys, I´m open for any feedback...the hard ones or the soft ones as you prefer. ;-)

As always. Anything you may like about my stuff and would like to see more information/examples. Please ask.

---

My intent is not to came up with the most beautiful splash screen, but to showcase/practice my skills in Character Design.

Without much knowledge of the game, I ended up choosing Hyena Warwick as my Champion. Later I discovered that 'Hyena' is already a skin of the main character Warwick, but I kept the idea and I´ll make an alternative version of it.

Here´s my entry-card:

tumblr_ndfvrdBsR21tmzfq0o1_1280.jpg

To start explore the Character look, without deviate much of the main concept, I ended up doing this reference board:

PCount_LOL_Dado_MoodBoard.png

This helped me to explore some shapes:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Thumbnails.png

Do you guys think I´m showing a good variety on those thumbnails? interested to know if this kind of work still being used inside studios/dev teams, if not, please let me know.

- Thanks

Replies

• BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero polycounter lvl 4
    Love the research and thumbnails! Looking good. :)
    I think there's heaps of variety in the thumbnails, lots of different feels and designs. Not sure how much it's worth, but I really like G, I, L and a few of the ideas represented in A and K (that body-type just kinda clashes with the LoL style a bit, but the armor and patterns are cool).

Looking forward to seeing more!
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bagel. Yeah, The amount probably is not necessary for the contest, but I could miss the chance to put this technique (sketch shapes in three values) in practice.
    Nice picks. A is on my choice list as well. :-].
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on this. Exploring some of the thumbnails a bit further with Linework. All of them use the same 'base model', and the values are just to distinguish the major shapes.

PCount_LOL_Dado_Thumbnails2.png

Next I´ll do the same with another 3 of them.
    Please guys, I´d love to hear comments in the same vibe Muzz had stated on his Honest Feedback Thread.

I´m hunger for improvement. Woaaarrrhhghhh.... ;-)
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    More thumbnail exploration:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Thumbnails3.png

PCount_LOL_Dado_Thumbnails4.png

Do you guys dig any of them?
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Today´s result: a better/detailed linework for two strong choices...

PCount_LOL_Dado_Thumbnails5.png
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy Tooth's my fave. ;) Great job on the clean choices, your presentation is great.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 8
    Something about Crazy Tooth absolutely stands out man! He feels like a character whereas rusty bite feels like a common goon. I think it's because his mouth and eyes are a lot more personable, and the values are drawing all focus to his eyes and face, and that's a good thing.

Rusty bite has his entire torso white so it feels like it's emphasizing his muscles and downplaying any intelligence.

I'm not totally sold on the weird shield weapons but perhaps that is just because they aren't at a comfortable angle. Great work here, i actually feel like there is a lot of growth in your material here alone, as this work feels very polished and marketable.

Awesome work overall. I wish i had some harsh feedback for you but nothing is sticking out.
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bagel. Not much fancy on the presentation. I just try to keep it simple and informative as possible to Modelers.

Thankkk you Muzz. Glad you find the time for some words. I do appreciate your thoughts.

You`re totally right. Rusty Bite ended not looking `a Champion/Hero`, I could push it to a more bad guy, but I`m not seeing many people liking to play with it. The second one have this tribal-feeling that I personally fits more.

Here's another pose just to check if the choice would work. I`ll keeping working with this design through the final artwork...

PCount_LOL_Dado_Thumbnails6b.png

edited: no more big necklace. In the end this 'mesh' wasnt adding much to the character in my opinion and I can see Animators losing all the fun when skinning it. (-:
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    One more pass with Values:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Thumbnails6c.png
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Updating with the 'now it's final-final' version:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Thumbnails9.png

PCount_LOL_Dado_Thumbnails7.png
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice man, Good job on simplifying and optimising the design. It has come a long way. The massive shield blade look great!
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good. I like the crazy look of the face of the first concept though. the one with the bigs eyes, it has a lot of character to it.
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 6
    Final result is really solid. Good work!
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzz, thank you! I´m all about simplified shapes. Kind of my art-mantra nowadays. I liked how the shield design changed through the process. Your feedback was crucial to me in this asset.

Sage, that´s another valid point. If I proceed with the final splash screen I'll try to use this expression on his face.

StinkHorse, thank you. Glad it´s showing some professionalism. That´s my main point on this contest.

Btw. I updated the latest images. Added more tones and small tweaks (weird tangents, off-balance pose, removed the puffy-fur...). Just hit F5 a couple of times on your browser.;)
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Had received a feedback about the hair, and I could not change it -again-. A more ragged, hairy hair fits better with the Hyena. A comparison:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Silhouette.png

And...Colors:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Color01.png
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior ngon master
    Hi there man - nice to see some progress !

Regarding colors I think there is one simple thing you could try. Looking at this sheet, I feel like you started from your original value scheme then created variants from there by adding/mixing flat colors (which is good !) but it seems to me that this graphic approach somehow took over the designs, causing material definition and believability to take the back seat.

For instance, on A, B, D and F, I can tell that the thick collar is probably made of sections of bamboo ; however, the blue and lime colored versions of C and F don't tell me that. Now of course one could say that these are simply painted, but I am sure you see what I mean : this particular piece of gear doesn't really read as bamboo in these variants anymore.

The same thing happens with the claws on A, B, C and F : I understand the choice of applying a strongly saturated color to this element in order to provide a tertiary spot of interest, but it goes against what this part of the character is supposed to be made of, as far as materials are concerned.

Now of course I am not saying that every piece of gear should be brown or grey, and all these elements could indeed be portrayed as painted with a bright tribal color. But if that is the case, this needs to be very clearly conveyed thanks to scratches or part of the paint chipping off ... revealing the original colors and material properties of the surface underneath. Surprisingly enough on this sheet you actually decided to restrict the cloth elements (arms, ankle and waist straps) to very earthy/neutral tones. However in my opinion these areas would actually be the safest ones to apply bright colors to, since cloth, just like hair, can be dyed easily and is immediately recognizable as such.

Here is an example from Bayonetta2. Everything is extremely clear ! Of course that's kinda easy here since this is just a retrofit of an existing design, hence all the color choices were already made beforehand - but what I want to stress is how instantly identifiable the materials are, even with a simplistic flat-colored render.

cho_011.jpg

And some more similar stuff, this time from Monster Hunter :

HunterArmor-HiResConcept.jpg

I hope this makes sense !
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    First, an update on the color schemes pre-Pior-feedback - just applied the F option to other views + did a experience using a Gradient Map to unify/ground all the colors to a closer hue.

PCount_LOL_Dado_Color02.png

@Pior: First, I thank you for the time to write this feedback. It touch a question that I always having in mind when starting to color my characters.

When I started to lay down some colors in this one I, indeed, had this doubt in my mind. As you noticed well, my only limitation was to keep the already defined value structure (just swapped some tones in two variations I think). Other than that, the palettes where created using the color of the Fur as the starting point.

So, to me, the 'realism' was in to keep the Hyena´s color closer to a common-sense choice (yellow, grey, brow). And the Assets just matches/combine/relates with this colors. The color 'aberrations' (blues, greens, pinks) were used in the focal points, and as you warned so well, I was going to give it sense in the next stage (render) - simulate paint, decals, material properties, eg.

Your point is pretty valid, because it´s a signal that maybe the 'audience' needs to get this information faster, more detailed.
    Since I love the design and ideas of the 80´s/90´s cartoons and toys, sometimes I idealize my concepts with that simplicity in mind.

Well. I will try to use this info you provide to construct a palette with more material definition/'realism' in mind. I want this design to be My Best so far.

Thanks a lot.

edited: Oh! And another good point when you notice the colors on hair/cloth. You´re right about reserving colors to this elements aswell. Makes much more sense.
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Here´s another set of colors, this time trying to color choices more towards what Pior had suggested in his previous feedback (more think about materials).
    In the end, I changed the value structure two of the variations just to flavor it. And I kinda like it. ;0)

G and H are closer to previous, most liked combination (F), colors are more related to Hyenas/raw clothes, leather, wood...different of the first attempt I treat the Hair more like an isolated piece, not part of the Hyena´s fur.

PCount_LOL_Dado_Color05.png

I and J are more wild approach:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Color06.png

That´s it. I have my favorite already, but I´m super-interested to see what one do you guys like most too.

Cheers.
  • luc-creative
    Big props! This is great work! Keep it up!
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Luc-Creative! Big props everywhere. Thanks.

Starting with the Splash Screen. It´s about time right? :)

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash01.png
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking F as the primary color scheme with J as the variant.

Questions:
    I'm assuming the material of F's blade is bone. Is there any way to lighten it to give it that sun bleached look?
    Similarly the material of J's blade looks like it's intended to be Onyx. I'd suggest making the mask covering it a lighter dark, like a black polished oak. Then the blade itself could be darkened up to match the stone type.

As for the splash screen I'll throw in my vote for G with the character rotated a bit to face the camera more so his body is visible. Currently he's a bit covered by his weapon but it's a solidly dynamic shot that expresses the wildness of the character.
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick answer Stinkhorse. I´d like the suggest on J variant. I´m going with that. F is cool, but I never painted something like J, so the colors it´s a challenge itself.

About the composition. I got another feedback and the friend told me that I need to push the dynamism of the pose/camera a bit more (without hiding too much of the char), as you smartly pointed on your comment.

This sounds like round 2 for the thumbnails!

...Oh I love the struggle. ;-D
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    One more bump! Cmonnn Dado!! :)

Here´s something I´d like to hear from you guys. Do you think those new batch of comps are more interesting than the previous one?

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash02.png

If Yes!, I can share what was the difference of the mindset while drawing them. If no. I´ll keep my insights to myself and keep trying to get this so called "dynamism". ;)
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, these all read as more dynamic and exciting than the last batch, personal favorites include B, C, and F. White the latter option could do with a bit wider body presentation for better visibility, it tells a fantastic story and really presents the character in his element.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    New ones are really good. I don't really have a preference though, all of them could be developed into really strong pieces!
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank ya Muzz.

Here´s the idea so far:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash04.png

Gonna try to discover more references of the actual maps that can be used on this enviroment. At moment is a plain, dry, bone all around desert. But I´m sure there´s some easter-egss that I can use.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior ngon master
    Good stuff man ! And I would agree that the second batch of thumbnails is indeed much better than the first. I feel like they are more carefully crafted, which in turn makes them easier to read - probably thanks to the finer handling of limited value ranges. The heavy contrast used on the first batch looked a bit heavy-handed in comparison :)
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Pior thanks for the feedback. I think I´ll leave this Contest with a bit more of practical knowledge, and this is good.

If you guys asked me what was the difference in my mindset between the two batches I would say:

- First, I thought about 'Design'
    - Second, I thought about 'Camera'

By Camera I mean: I really (really) try to mentalize/pretend the square area of the thumbnail as an Open Space, a Set. Then I drew the Frustum of the camera (tilted, short, wide) and finally I drew the character in the accordingly perspective.

It was a kind new mindset for me. I clearly could see that my approaches of composition until this point was oriented to 2D/Shape arrangement only. A reason for the lack of depth, and I would say, dynamism of the character. The second attempt is more a Cameraman, Director approach.

Kind of subject that I need to REMEMBER to keep exploring in my next drawings (even the usual character sketches).

Here´s more work on the SplashArt:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash05.png
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    I keep working on this. Fixing the BG here and there, trying to simplify shapes and/or use them to convey motion.

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash07.png
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on this:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash08.png

I love Lines. Dang!
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    And now the Linedrawing is done:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash09.png
  • Teabox
    I really like all of your splash screens! Similarly there's so much energy in your dynamic poses and the final splash screen which really brings alive what kind of character he is!

I could easily see this blending in with Riots current splash screens, can't wait to see some colours! :)

I never play Warwick but this makes him more tempting!
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Teabox.

"I never play Warwick but this makes him more tempting!"

You can´t imagine how great is to listen to this. A signal that one of my goals are on the right track (revitalize a character that, I ended up discovering, is not one of the favorites).

Here`s more work on the artwork. Since time's available, I push the Inking part to I could flat colors faster.

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash10.png

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash11.png
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    Line weights are looking pretty good for the most part, but his head could use some thicker outlines in places to make it pop a bit more.

Early colors feelin good!
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    This is past the stage were I can really weigh in, but I'm just stopping in to say this is looking rad as hell. Looking forward to seeing even more progress!
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stinkhorse: good points. Added some lines here and there and I think I nailed the face. Thanks man.

@BagelHero: if not 'as artist', I´m more than interested in your feedback 'as audience'. Please keep them coming BagelHero. I really like it.

Here´s some color studies. Basic, quick compositions (mostly Gradient Maps, Hue Saturation and quick overpaint) to set a mood or a palette, that later would be used to pick colors when painting.

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash12.png
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    3 more to think about:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash13.png
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    A change on C´s composition. Tempted to go with this one now...

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash14.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoop, hello C2. I like C2.
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bagel, I´m going with C2 for sure.
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Started the Colors again. With a more effective approach (at least, more compatible with my workflow - I was killing the linework with brushtrokes, doesn´t work for me).

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash17.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa man. That is really popping.

hell yes!
  • Stinkhorse
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene is definitely starting to tell a story. The combo of lightning, fire and smoking trees ties together nicely.
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    @Muzz: Thankkk youuu! Those kind of adjectives are always nice to hear. My first 'Popping' earned.

@Stinkhorse: glad it´s noticeable. :) The battle would be on keeping these coherent to the whole piece. I don´t want to use much 'fx' to convey these elements. Tomorrow I´ll do another pass on those flames and lit more of the character. Thanks again Stinkhorse.

Guys. Really. If you have any question, please shout. I do like to share more but there´s so much going on. I´m afraid to look that 'pimp and run' type of artist. Don´t want to.
  • DaniNaimare
    Very good work, systematic and effective. congratulations.
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Warwick is on fire!!!

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash18.jpg
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeas. I changed again:

But the latest feedback was spot on and put some light on a issue I wasn't aware of: the wip version was lacking Focal point on the character, and since I´m Presenting a new skin, it´s probably better to state it (the character, shapes and colors) more clearly than try to show a specific 'mood'.

It´s a struggle. But it´s worthing:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash19.jpg

Do you guys keep diggin it?
  • Teabox
    Just dropped in to see how this was progressing, looking awesome as per usual. :) Keep it up, i'm looking forward to seeing your finished piece. :)

Definitely prefer your most recent post, there's a lot more depth to it and it's more interesting to look at, good decision! :)
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks Teabox. Glad you´re liking and - still being surprised by the artwork here.

Over here I´m starting with the rendering:

PCount_LOL_Dado_Splash20.jpg
  • Dado Almeida
    Offline / Send Message
    @DKK: Oh, thanks DKK. Yeah, this kinda of rendering requires a bit more of control (masks, selections) but I think the result could be interesting. Let´s see.

I don´t have access to the files and brushes right now, but it´s just a modified Airbrush brush from Clip Studio Paint. Instead of the Soft, Round tip (default) I create one with small, scattered, very small dots. Turning off the Anti-Alias is what gave that look. I´m sure Photoshop has something similar by default.

Regarding the Zoom level I work. It´s basically the way I screengrab: painting at 25%, 40% percent (because at this size the images fits the whole display) and then jump to 100% to create 'hard' edges for details.