Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Candle WIp

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
pmiller001 greentooth
Modeling a candle i am. What do you guys think? comments? criticism?

h6mNpcV.jpg

k3W1Bn3.jpg

Replies

• shadacer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    Good start, but when you say modelling a candle, are you using an app such as Maya/Max to do this? If so, look into ZBrush/Mudbox sculpting, you'll have a far easier and more fun time.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    yeah i'm using maya. I'm seeing if i could do this without resorting to zbrush and having to retopologize a candle lol. I figure if i can just get good at this now, there wont be a reason to use zbrush, and retoopo a stinking candle in zbrush.
  • Gobliness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gobliness polycounter lvl 4
    You can definitely do a low poly candle in maya/max, but I think the thing you are really missing is the structure of the candle and the forms.

When a candle melts, overall, it still maintains the structure it started as. Cylindrical, spherical, etc.

The walls of the candle would have to be extremely thin/hollowed out for it to start to fall over and drip wax the way you have it now.

9q0iFai.jpg
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I'd be careful with some of those pinched shapes forming at the bottom of the candle. It's kind of hard to tell without a wireframe but some of them look pretty angular and rough in position with one another, which will increase the chances of shading errors/ugly tris of doom being shown. I could be crazy but it's looking like there's a bit too much pinching going on down there.

I'd probably just delete the bottom faces and align the bottom vertices to be on the same z axis to clean things up a bit down there, especially since I doubt you'd ever have a melted candles bottom shown in a game (usually they are... stuck to something :) )

When you end up making a material for the candle, I think you might want to look into using sub surface scattering which should help sell the waxy look.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    @Gobliness- Yeah i think you're right :/ I was trying to be cute with it I guess, but the shape does need to be cylindrical. Thanks

@Deathstick- I'm uploading a wireframe for you. I'm doing this for a class, and i was told to keep the bottom faces, but I'll ask the instructor if thats necessary, cause I see your point on that. As far as the material I added something, cause i was tired of just looking at gray haha. But I was thinking of looking SSS, whenever i have time, first things first though. Let me get this candle modeled right haha. Although if you've got some sweet tutorial suggestions on SSS i definitely wouldn't mind.

http://imgur.com/a/3vyOb

Thats the full album.

GOx10g8.jpg

8hitiwS.jpg

Heu99pE.jpg

ba75spN.jpg

KRtGk9K.jpg