Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Project Advice

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
Hey polycount!
I was looking at my website and feeling it is missing a cornerstone project or a big set piece....(www.theartoftylerlewis.com)
I was considering this:

FBEc9qW.jpg?1

What do you guys think? Too much, too fanboyish?
I know this is going to take a long time and will be a labor of love.....currently I have a job doing 3d in the simulation field (for about 5 years).....but its my dream to create games and environments.... I would love to hear yalls thoughts on the best way to approach this :)

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Given what you currently have in your portfolio, I would say start off with something much more bitesized and smaller scope. This is a super awesome concept, but there's a lot that would go into creating this scene, and doing it justice. Maybe start out with a diorama, or a much more contained scene?

Definitely not too fanboy, especially if your dream is to work at bungie making art like this.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As Lucas said, this is a lot to take on at one sitting. You could, however, break it into bite-sized chunks and eventually end up with the entire scene.

The items in the scene aren't terribly complex - the wrecked cars are probably the most complicated - but there are a LOT of objects. Being able to intelligently break it up is not a trivial task.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Like Lucas said, that concept is a massive amount of work. Try something like this scale so you can set yourself up for success.
    francois-baranger-scifi-concept-artwork.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    Thank you guys so much for the advise! That was defiantly a concern of mine was just the shear scope of the project
    @Bardler Wow! that is epic i'm defiantly going to do that!