Home Technical Talk

60fps Animation Frame Rate

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
Hello polyconters!

So, i was wondering, how often a 60fps animation is used for games ?

I know that not every game/computer/console can achieve 60fps at render time, but when animating, we can put some extra frames to achieve some smoothness. but when we export, its always targeting 30fps (animation playback speed).

So, you guys out there using those super hyper mega mind fuck triple A rendering engines... how often a 60fps animation is used in-game ?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    A lot depends on the engine, but a lot of software (Max/Maya) will treat 60fps taken down to 30 as "sub frames". The keys still exist in between the major key markers. Engines are a different story, especially engines that do curve interpolation instead of Key Per Frame.

Even if an engine only takes every major key and ignores sub-frames, the sub-frames can be helpful for somethings in certain cases. It all depends on what you're trying to do and what engine you're working with.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I think most people work at 24 and 30 frames per second because it's easier to manage. Motion capture is typically sampled at least 120 fps. Then when an animator gets his grubby hands on it they convert it donw to something more manageable.

The authored frame rate is saved in the FBX format so any modern engine that reads in an FBX file will know what to do if you change it.

The rare times I've upped the frame rate is because I had to do attack or sprint animations that would have been only 10 or 12 frames long at 30 fps.

I don't see a need to do it for all animations.