Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel Update 2014

I updated my demo reel recently. I got rid of the mix of tech art stuff I've done (particles, scripting, lighting, programming, modelling, etc) and stripped it down to mostly particles. I also edited it from 3 minutes to 31 seconds.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnN4yqWiUN8"]Demo Reel - 2014 - Ryan Blanchard - YouTube[/ame]

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Thanks,
Ryan

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The music, I suspect, will be a love-it-or-hate-it affair. I honestly turned off the sound about 2 seconds in...

I really couldn't tell what many of the effects were. The square particles I found especially confusing - were they for a stylized game, or specific effect?
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    The music, I suspect, will be a love-it-or-hate-it affair. I honestly turned off the sound about 2 seconds in...

I really couldn't tell what many of the effects were. The square particles I found especially confusing - were they for a stylized game, or specific effect?

Music is just something I threw in there. I couldn't think of anything else suited to a thirty second demo reel with 15 different two second clips. My personal musical taste is much different.

A lot of the particles are from asset packages I sell on the Unity asset store. I package 15 to 20 effects with a certain theme together (retro arcade, spell effects, etc.).

I have other effects I've done that I can show with in-game footage. I've also built web player demos and Android apps to show how my particles work.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I feel like there should be a closed-caption text somewhere on the screen too to tell me what I am looking at...
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    It honestly gives you the feeling of a music video rather than a demo reel.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback PyrZern and Francois. Consensus seems to be the effects need to be seen in context and the music is way too annoying.
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    I'll second everything said above.

As well as context, a breakdown might be nice as well (though I'm not an FX artist) showing how the effects are created would be nice.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I think you need to be more specific about which aspects you were responsible for. For example, in the car racing clip, did you also create the models and textures, etc?
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I really hate the music ^^ and I feel like it starts right into the action before you understand what you're looking at.. you start the video and boom.. music yells at you and action...
    the racing one has very bad quality and I can't tell what kind of particle or thing you did in that one..
    I think the one with the orc(?) and the rocks is my favorite.. would like to see more of it

also.. maybe you could get rid of those white borders(as if it was the wrong format) and think about fading over some scenes instead of just directly showing the next image, which is btw pretty fast.. I feel like you need more time on every shot to really understand what you have in front of you
    I'd really like to appreciate all.. but I think right now the video is not showing your potential
    sry if I sound harsh, I'm sharing what I feel right now